Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to link an induction motor to a photoelectric sensor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSK123

Hello, I have these 2 items which I would like to link together but I do not know how.

1. AC induction motor (120W)
Comes with a speed controller with the following terminal
- COM
- CW
- CCW
- AC
- AC
- FG

2. Photoelectric sensor (relay type)
Connections are as follows;
- brown & blue wire to 24-240VAC
- black wire to Ta
- grey wire to Tb
- white wire to Tc

I was thinking of linking these 2 via a relay but i don't know which type should I use. Any other ideas? My electronics knowledge is limited, could someone help me out here? Thanks a lot :)

What do you mean link them together? What is the end result supposed to do? You will need to much better explain the goal with this project.

Ron

Hi Ron, thanks for your reply. Here is what I intend to do; the motor will be driving a conveyor with boxes on it. A worker will be standing in the middle of the conveyor to pick up the boxes. The sensor will be placed at the end of the conveyor to detect any boxes missed out by the worker. When the sensor senses a box, it will signal the motor to stop immediately. When the box is removed, the motor resumes. The purpose of this project is to avoid boxes from falling off at the end of the conveyor.

Oh, OK that now makes perfect sense. I'll have a few ideas in a bit and post them later today. Using a photo detector and beam interrupt it can be done. Any and all data you could provide on the sensor you have like make and model would really help. Link or something? Since you have the sensor we don't want to unnecessarily reinvent the wheel. :)

Ron

Here are some information on the sensor;

Made: AUTONICS (Korea)
Model: BEN3M-PFR
Description: Photo sensor with polarize mirror, 3meter adjustable sensing, relay output.

You can refer my first post for the wiring part. Looking forward to know what ideas you have in mind :)

OK, you would start with something along the lines of the attached. I should have asked for a link to the data sheet for the motor controller. My guess is the common will go to CW or CCW to determine direction. The AC lines are mains power. I am not sure about the remaining pin?

What we add for a relay in my circuit will depend on how we configure the motor controller. Obviously this is a low power motor making things easier. The way it works in the drawing thus far is the beam is striking the receiver. That will keep the added relay energized. If a box breaks the beam we will stop the motor. That about what you have in mind?

Not knowing your location I can't include mains voltage (actual number). :)

Anyway, a link to the motor and controller would be most helpful.

Ron

OK, no problem. I'll have it tomorrow or Saturday. I assume CW rotation? I'll have it done. We will work from what I posted and use the added relay to turn on / off rotation.

Ron

OK, attached is pretty much what you want and should work out fine. Now a few notes about this. The relay I added is an Omron basic series 3 pole double throw relay. They can be had anywhere and use an 11 pin base socket. The same relay design is made by dozens of companies and even sold by McMaster Carr supply in addition to parts houses. I assumes 120 VAC mains so worked around that.

So why the extra unused relay poles? You are working with a conveyor system. While I have not seen your system most systems of this type use an Emergency Stop switch network. Should you need to add an E stop system the relay provisions are there. Additionally as drawn when a box stops the conveyor and is removed, the conveyor will start as soon as the box is removed. Thus if any additional safety industrial features are needed they can be added. Your call. Here in the US (not sure where you are) E Stop switches are available from McMaster Carr Supply and others. Generally a large red mushroom head switch.

I called out the pin numbers for the relay I added. Pins 2 & 10 are the coil power and pins 1 and 3 are N/O Normally Open contacts, in case you wonder what those little numbers are. :)

Any questions just ask.

Ron

Great! I can now throw in an emergency stop switch. Thanks Ron, you have been such a great help. I have submitted the proposal and will let you know about the project's outcome. Thanks a lot!

Cool and let me know how things go for you. Glad I could be of help. :)

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back