Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to increase USB Vacuum suction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_doc735

how to increase USB Vacuum suction?

can I increase the suction power of a usb [5v] vac by changing the capacitance?
currently: 16v 47μF - radial.
:confused:

I know that people like to run everything from USB, but this is ridiculous. Not quite as bad as the USB powered coffee cup warmer, but close. :rolleyes:
You can draw a max of 0.5A off the USB port; drawing more will cause the port to shut down on a good computer and to blow up on a really cheap one. That would really suck.
Buy a vacuum that plugs into the wall if you want more suction.

Last edited:
Nope

You probably find that VAC consumes as much current as its allowed to anyway from the USB port.

You could always power it from an external power supply with a higher voltage but you risk burning out the motor.

What about fitting a battery to the VAC to supplement the current available from the USB port and recharge it from the same supply when not in use.

What about fitting a battery to the VAC to supplement the current available from the USB port and recharge it from the same supply when not in use.

How about using one that plugs into the wall like everyone else?

power

Ok
...many thanks for your thoughts!
:eek:

It's just that a local shop said the vac runs from the 5v USB connection by default (and it is fairly useless!). However - it has a high power button which speeds it up a bit more and dust does collect in the tiny bag! This high power button is connected to a tiny pcb with a 16v capacitor on it and the shop keeper insisted that this was the reason for the increased power (from 5v - 16v)? If this is incorrect, what is the real reason for the increased power?

Last edited:
Well Doc there is a bit of electronics tomfoolery called switched capacitive doubling that can increase the voltage and hence the RPM of the motor, that might be what's being employed here. Or it could be a step-up switching regulator which is much the same only a bit more fancy.

Of course it is more likely to be that the manufacturer has fitted a current limiting resistor to the motor. So that 'normal' speed is somewhat slower than what the motor is actually capable of, when the 'boost' is activated the limit resistor is shorted out giving the 'increased' performance. Cannot really say without seeing the PCB.

I've been tempted and tried these USB and small battery powered vacuum cleaners but have yet to find a single one with more suction than an asthmatic whelk.

power

hi Prof

when I get a minute I'll upload a .jpg so that you can see the insides of this device....

...stay tuned to this channel :D

Cheers!

I thought to myself, why in the world would you want one of these.
But it kinda makes sense.
Computers collect quite a bit of muck, so while your busy typing away at your favourite forum, ETO, you can vacuum the keyboard, PC and generally around it and keep everything tidy.:D

Would not really work for me, too many papers on my work desk, the thing would get bogged down more than anything and burn itself out.:)

Sadly the only way I have found to really clean a keyboard involves levering off all the keys and cleaning them individually, vacuuming is ok for small dertitus but it will never lift that paperclip you dropped inside ages ago. Biscuit crumbs are a problem as well as they tend to swell by absorbing moisture from the atmosphere, they drop in and don't shake out.

Trade Secret: If you do decide to remove the keys of a keyboard in order to clean it then DON'T remove the 'Space Bar' this applies to most but laptop keyboards in particular. They often have a little radius arm hinge/ bracket attached to the underside to control the stability and motion of the key. These can be an absolute swine to get back into place and are easy to break in the process.

I just normally turn over the keyboard and bang it really hard against the desk a couple of times.:D
It works, never broken a single keyboard that way.
Then you can use your fancy usb vacuum cleaner thingy to get all the nasties of the desk.

A while back I washed my keyboard with the key caps on using hot water and the sprayer from the kitchen sink. I used Dawn dish soap and a scrub brush. It was so nasty that I had nothing to lose. It took two or three days for the last key to start working. Looks and works like new. YMMV... your risk.

Only took about 10 minutes to wash, 3 days to fully dry.

Last edited:
You can apparently wash it in the dishwasher as well, let it dry properly, and "bob's your uncle"

Just don't select the warm wash cycle, go for cold.:p

hi

...these comments are great, not only informative but also humourous too!

well, I spilt treacle sauce all over my keys a while back :rolleyes: so I had to completely dismantle it and rebuild it after washing every single part. Luckily it was like new after I finish but quite time consuming. The actual keys are simply fitted over a rubber membrane which in turn contact two plastic sheets (carrying the conductor rails) that are seperated by a third 'neutral' sheet. When you press a key the two outer sheets make an electrical contact through a hole in the seperater sheet and the key is activated. So I'm happy to say that there were no nasty/messy mechanical parts in there (e.g. loads of springs etc...) thank god!
;)

I usually have at least 10 keyboards knocking around at any one moment in time (kickback to when I used to run an IT company).

I tend to use "disposable" keyboards - I pay £2 ($4) for a cheapo keyboard and £5 ($10)for a fairly reasonable one (and £8 ($16) for a wireless one with mouse) so its cheaper and quicker for me to just bin it and move on to the next one.

I've seen some disasters with keyboards in my many years of IT support though :p

hi

I usually have at least 10 keyboards knocking around at any one moment in time (kickback to when I used to run an IT company).

I tend to use "disposable" keyboards - I pay £2 ($4) for a cheapo keyboard and £5 ($10)for a fairly reasonable one (and £8 ($16) for a wireless one with mouse) so its cheaper and quicker for me to just bin it and move on to the next one.

I've seen some disasters with keyboards in my many years of IT support though :p

That sounds very sensible, especially if you don't have much time to 'play around' with stuff ;)

I think I will probably stick the USB vac on the end of a AC/DC mains power adapter and see how long it lasts for :confused:

I had a spare usb vac motor hanging about and I connected it to a mains adapter that I always have lying about on the bench just to see what would happen. I got hold of some little bits of cat5 cable and with the extra boost at 9v it threw all the bits right across the room (not including the ones that bombarded my head!!) :eek:

usb vac

i have purchased a 70s retro usb vacuum cleaner and im asking that the motor case has the same size as the newer more powerfull usb vacs i wonder if u can take the motor box off the new one and put it on the retro?

silly if it came from a USB vac you should be able to swap the motors, as stated multiple times though it's a silly idea, go buy a dust buster or something.

And 3V0 it's usually a good idea to take the electronics out of the keyboard BEFORE you wash it =) I had a Microsoft Natural Keyboard that I loved, absolutely everything inside of it except for a PCB and the actual contact sheets was made out of plastic, 100% dishwasher safe =>

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back