Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to import new component in LT spice ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neptune

i have downloaded LM324_unisym_test from yahoo groups
**broken link removed**
, and it is .asc file, when i click the icon it opens itself in LT spice and says
"LM324 from National Semiconductor

The LM324 is used with the universal symbol "opamp2"
from the standard LTSPICE [Opamps] menue. Simply
place this symbol "opamp2" on the schematic. Then replace
the text "opamp2" with LM324/NS. Don't forget to
set the model path with a Spiceline
.include LM324.MOD
Keep the model fle in the same directory where this schematic is saved."
but how do i import it in LT spice.
please explain step by step.

hi,
Did you also download the LM324.mod file on that yahoo link, I just downloaded the unis and .mod and it works ok without any other actions.

Make sure the LM324.mod is in the same folder as the LM324_unis.asc.

Lets know

EDIT:
If you have used the LTS install default folder, place the *.mod file into this folder C:\Program Files\LTC\LTspiceIV\lib\sub

Attachments

• AAesp01.gif
    AAesp01.gif
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,148
Last edited:
EDIT:
If you have used the LTS install default folder, place the *.mod file into this folder C:\Program Files\LTC\LTspiceIV\lib\sub
yes i have cut paste both of the file in this address but still cant find the component.
.MOD file is showing as movie player icon :?
what about the procedure above in quotes it is telling me to do ?

yes i have cut paste both of the file in this address but still cant find the component.
.MOD file is showing as movie player icon :?
what about the procedure above in quotes it is telling me to do ?

hi,
The BLUE text in the asc file is only a comment by the author of the asc and model. No action is required from you.

This image shows how it looks in Win XP Pro

Attachments

• AAesp04.gif
    AAesp04.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 860
i have pasted this file here E:\Program Files\LTC\LTspiceIV\lib\sub
i have windows 7 , it looks like this.
what should i do ?

Attachments

• filo.jpg
    filo.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 776
hi,
Run the LTspice program and the Open the LM324_unisym_test.asc , then press RUN, it works for me without any problems.

As a further test, Open and Run any one of the asc Example files provided in the LTspice folders, make sure it runs OK.

ok it is running but why cant i find it in components list in components button (The and gate), & also if i download new components would i have to open them seperately all the time ?

ok it is running but why cant i find it in components list in components button (The and gate), & also if i download new components would i have to open them seperately all the time ?

The author of the LM324 has used the ' opampX2' model , which is located at the end of the list under F2/Opamps. [ thats explained in the blue text on the asc circuit]

I dont understand what you are asking.???
The and gate), & also if i download new components would i have to open them seperately all the time ?

http://www.simonbramble.co.uk/lt_spice/ltspice_lt_spice_tutorial_4.htm

like if i downloaded a chip which is a complex part. if i have to use it i will have to open .asc file all the time like you explained.
but if i want this chip to be shown in components box, from where i select all chips, diodes, opamps , voltages etc. then what will i have to do ?

i will have to use 2-3 LM324N repeatedly in my projects !

http://www.simonbramble.co.uk/lt_spice/ltspice_lt_spice_tutorial_4.htm

like if i downloaded a chip which is a complex part. if i have to use it i will have to open .asc file all the time like you explained.
but if i want this chip to be shown in components box, from where i select all chips, diodes, opamps , voltages etc. then what will i have to do ?

i will have to use 2-3 LM324N repeatedly in my projects !

What I do in that case is have an asc file with just the LM324 on it and the .include command

So for a new circuit I open that file, save it as my new circuit name, and add the extra components to make the new circuit.
Using F6 you can make more copies of the LM324 symbol.

Do you follow.?

What I do in that case is have an asc file with just the LM324 on it and the .include command
where is .include command ?
So for a new circuit I open that file, save it as my new circuit name, and add the extra components to make the new circuit.
Using F6 you can make more copies of the LM324 symbol.
i renamed it and saved it , i pressed F6 to make extra copies now how do i paste it in my renamed circuit ?

hi neptune,
Have you read the LTS help files and documentation.?

hi,
I have made a symbol for the LM324NS

NOTE: the name is now LM324NS not LM324/NS which LTS will not allow as a valid name.

Unzip this and move the LM324NS.asy into the OPA folder, the LM324NS.mod into the SUB folder and the LM324NS.asc into your working folder.

Use the .include LM324NS.mod in your circuit diagram.

The LM324NS symbol should then be accessible from the F2/OPA list.

Attachments

• LM324NS.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 611
I downloded your file, it has 3 files , .asc , .asy , .mod
Unzip this and move the LM324NS.asy into the OPA folder
where in OPA folder to move ? it has 3 sub folders -> cmp , sub , sym .
the LM324NS.mod into the SUB folder and the LM324NS.asc into your working folder.
whats working folder ?
Use the .include LM324NS.mod in your circuit diagram.
where do i write this ?

LTC help is beyond my understanding.

Create a Folder in the LTSpice folder called 'MyWork' [ or a name of your choice], which will be YOUR working folder.

Inside the MyWork folder, create folders for the various projects that you are working on OR for the Types of IC being used.

eg: I have 'MyWork/OPA and MyWork/555 etc, in that way I can quickly find projects I worked on earlier.

NOTE: .asc , .asy , .mod are File Type Folders that LTS uses.

When you import files place the asy files in the C:\Program Files\LTC\LTspiceIV\lib\sym folder.

Place the .mod , .lib in the C:\Program Files\LTC\LTspiceIV\lib\sub folder.

Place the .asc files in the appropriate folder under your MyWork folder.

eg: your LM324.asc could be placed in the C:\Program Files\LTC\LTspiceIV\MyWork\OPA folder.

Its important that the .include LM324NS.mod text is entered as a Spice directive on your circuit, when using the LM324NS model.

Last edited:
all done as said .asc file in new folder, .mod file in sub folder and .asy file in sym folder
it is still not showing in component list.
but when i open .asc file it is showing me warning "couldnt find symbol of LM324N"

Attachments

• dodo.png
    dodo.png
    150.6 KB · Views: 635
  • kiki.png
    kiki.png
    121.1 KB · Views: 597
Last edited:
hi.
As a test I have downloaded that zip file I posted, unzipped to my desk top, it works fine, look at this image.

There is something wrong in your installation.??

EDIT:
You have also got two include directives in your circuit.!

Attachments

• AAesp01.gif
    AAesp01.gif
    43.7 KB · Views: 615
  • AAesp02.gif
    AAesp02.gif
    3.3 KB · Views: 574
Last edited:
"couldnt find symbol of LM324N"
Is that because you're using LM324NS ?

Is that because you're using LM324NS ?

alec,
Have you tried the zip in post #13, if not, could you confirm that there is or is not a problem,,, it works OK for me, but an independent check would be a good idea.:rolleyes:

Downloaded the zip and installed as directed. Got similar result to Neptune, i.e. it isn't showing in component list, and when I open .asc file there's the warning "Couldnt find symbol of LM324" and a blank where the op-amp symbol should be.

Is there a .sym file missing from the zip, Eric?

EDIT:
Update:
I hadn't spotted the ref in post #1 to using the opamp2 symbol. So I made a copy of that, renamed to LM324NS.asy, in the sym folder, opened the .asy file and edited the value to read LM324NS. The sim now runs ok after resaving the .asc file to get rid of the warning about the missing LM324 symbol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back