Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to hook up a digital potentionmeter to a pic axe microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack501

I dont really understand exactly how digital potentiometers work so ill just explain what im trying to do. I am going to be using either a pic axe 18m2 or 20x2 i havent deciceded but it will have an infrared reciever and a remote that i would like to use to adjust the resistance of the potentiometer. when i press one button it will raise the resistance by whatever increment then when i press another it will lower it. is it possible to just have the potentiometer hooked to 2 pins of the microcontroller. one to increase and one to decrease and whenever i press the button to increase the resistance, curreent gets sent through that lead to the pot and thru the other lead to decrease. the resistance i am wanting to change is in a whole other circuit. it is an rc servo so when resistance is increased less volts will go to the servo and it will be less "touchy". is what i am trying to do possible?

What is the part number of the digital pot?

Thats the thing im not sure anything about them so I don't really know the differences. What ones do what, etc... so i haven't picked one im just wondering if with the correct one that it is possible

Just be aware that the digital pot normally needs to be connected to circuit common, so you can't use it in a application where one of the pot elements is not connected to common.

If you are controlling an RC servo, why not just use the uC to control the pulse width fed to the servo directly?

welll because i just started teaching myself microcontrollers yesterday i dont know about that stuff but i just looked it up and that sounds like a much better solution. i would still be able to program it to be able to adjust how "slow" or how "little" the servo turns per the input correct?

Yup.

You can make clock if you want, or a propeller. You can change speed, direction, or point to point angular changes.

Some light reading for you

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back