Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to have from 0.03 to 0.9 Volts DC output and 0.1 microamps (100nanoamps)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I unfortunately know nothing about electronics but I need to build an apparel that can give me between 0.03 V and 0.9 V and also an amperage of 0.1 microamps (100 nanoamps), can someone please help?
Thank you so much!

A 1000 ohm potentiometer with 1 volt across it will draw 1 milliamp, should be well enough to source your 100 nA. If you can't allow over .9V or under .03V, fixed resistors of about a 91 ohm on the high side and about a 3 ohm for the low side.

thank you very much! I guess it means I have to build a circuit to put all that in. Is there a diagram I can follow somewhere? And also what do I have to choose to make the 1 volt?
Thank you!

That depends: what's your source of electricity? hearing aid battery? diesel generator? wall wart transformer?

If you want to go somewhere, you need to know where you're coming from first ...

Ah OK, sorry. Well, I have no source of electricity yet. I only know that I need to have "0.1 microamp max per cm of electrode" ( just quoting) and "between 0.03 and 0.9 V max"... now I'm trying to figure out how to do that, never having touched electronic components in my life! Thank you!

You're dealing with extremely small amounts of electricity here. It also sounds as if you're going to be applying this to someone's (or something's) brain. Am I correct?

I'd suggest a battery power supply. Safe, and you'll be starting from a very low voltage (~1.5) to begin with.

What you need to work on is the current regulation. I was going to suggest a LM334 current regulator, but that will only get you down to a microampere; to get smaller currents than that, you're going to need some kind of current divider network.

, Yes! you are correct, teeth actually! I would like to see if enamel can regrow in a saline solution to which I would apply 0.1 amp and around o.5 volt and if there would be mitosis reversal, dedifferenciation and fast regrow from stem cells, but... I know so nothing about electronics I don;t even know where to start! I just know I absolutely cannot go over 0.9V.. and over 0.2 microamp...

is it complicated to setup a current divider network?
No it's not. If you have a 1.5V battery, connect the output leads of a 100k potentiometer across it; take one of the outer leads and the wiper lead and this gives you your variable voltage source from 0-1.5V. In series with the wiper lead, connect a large value resistor (or large value variable resistor if you can find one) - this allows you to set the current.

e.g. if you adjust the voltage with the first potentiometer to 0.5V, and connect a 10Megaohm resistor in series with the wiper, you'll get a maximum of 0.5V/10M = 50nA.

The actual current will be diffused through the saline anyway, so is likely to be much less than this at any given point on the target.

I'd guess it would look something like this:

**broken link removed**

Rdiv would be a very small value. With the LM334 set for 1µA, 9/10 of the current would flow through it. The other tenth would go to your electrodes.

ah...OK, I need around 150 nanoAmps, how can I have at the same time a max of 0.9V output (or rather 0.5) and 150nanoAmp please?
Adjust the pot to 0.9V out, use a 6megaohm resistor in series with this for 150nA max
For 0.5V, adjust the pot for 0.5V, use a 3.3megaohm resistor for 150nA max

If you have a 1.5V battery, connect the output leads of a 100k potentiometer across it; take one of the outer leads and the wiper lead and this gives you your variable voltage source from 0-1.5V. In series with the wiper lead, connect a large value resistor (or large value variable resistor if you can find one) - this allows you to set the current.

e.g. if you adjust the voltage with the first potentiometer to 0.5V, and connect a 10Megaohm resistor in series with the wiper, you'll get a maximum of 0.5V/10M = 50nA.

But the problem with your scheme is that your high-value current-limiting resistor will also reduce the voltage being applied.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back