Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to handle ESD(electrostatic devices)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eafindme

HI, everyone. I building some project recently and some of the parts are ESD.
Well, I had destroyed some of them and I have no way to prevent the static charges. Can somebody suggest some other ways to handle them other than wearing antistatic wrist band or other similar devices?

I work on a semiconductor company so I know it very well
1. When you are working with ESD sensitive devices use ground strap or wrist band be sure its connected to the ground
2. ground your table or workplace
3. use antistatic plastic when transporting them
4. use antistatic apparel (if possible)
5. use ionizer if grounding is not possible (if available)

Don't work in a dry environment, and ALWAYS touch a good ground point before handling static sensative parts for several seconds. I've heard people attaching metal doorknobs to their benches attached to a ground point so that they can just grab on to dissipate charge.

You should have an anti-static mat to work on and if you do not have a wriststrap or ankle strap, you should be sitting on a chair with a wooden or metal seat- not plastic or fuzzy since rubbing it while moving, getting up/down makes a lot of static. So does socks rubbing on the carpet as you walk. If you are barefoot, you can also place an anti-static mat on the ground where your feet are when you sit.

All antistatic mats should be connected to a ground point (like the screws that hold the faceplate onto an electrical socket or light switches) via a wire. Touching these screws will dissipate any built up static charge as well.

Why can't you get a wrist strap or anti-static mat?

Last edited:
They're often not needed, all you need is a common ground point, the doorknob idea is the simplest for a hobbyist to add cheaply. I'd be more worried about the ambient humidity than I would be about anti static mats or wrist straps. If the humidty is too low you're doomed, nominal 40-60% humidity will save more IC's than any ground strap will.

Do not wear synthetic clothes of any sort. Cotton is the best I know of to reduce static.

And, just to reiterate, keep the humidity up.

And why not a wrist strap with a mat?

Price? Wrist straps are cheap, but mats aren't always again they're over kill, it's easier to just have plenty of available access to good ground points. I'd be more worried about a wrist strap slinging parts off my work area if I reached wrong. Avoid rolly chairs too, use a good metal chair. If you want, ground the chair, better than a mat.

Yea, the cheapest mats I've seen are around $70US. I wish I had one but I'd rather keep buying parts. :D

Hate wearing the straps too, and don't, but I don't have any problems with ESD damage either.

One thing, when people say keep it grounded, that's assuming your work table is grounded too. The entire point is to keep your differential to the parts in check. Doesn't matter that much if you are actually 0v to earth ground. Although still a good idea so in case you're working with a part and happen to touch some other object, it won't discharge through you to the part.

Yup, the problem is the price, and yet all of them are not available in my area.
So I just want to use the cheapest way to handle ESD.

Not as effective but you can wear the strap around your ankle... Then there's the trip hazzard with that =) Honestly I think they're over kill, as long as you maintain humidity in the room over about 40% (basements do this pretty much all by themselves) and have a good couple grounding points you touch frequently, it's never a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back