Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to go about making LED light up only for 3 secs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandy88

Hi!

Very new to this field of study, there's so much to learn in a very short amount of time =)

I'm rather stuck in my design project.. 1st I havta input a 3-bit information using dip switch and push button to a circuit and after going thru numerous dencoders and magnitude comparator, a green LED is supposed to light up only for 3 seconds and not lighting up otherwise.. Have a 555 clock chip, and I've been thinking of using a counter of 3 beats but just couldn't figure out how to connect them...

Appreciate if any kind people can give me some guidances =)

Hi!

Very new to this field of study, there's so much to learn in a very short amount of time =)

I'm rather stuck in my design project.. 1st I havta input a 3-bit information using dip switch and push button to a circuit and after going thru numerous dencoders and magnitude comparator, a green LED is supposed to light up only for 3 seconds and not lighting up otherwise.. Have a 555 clock chip, and I've been thinking of using a counter of 3 beats but just couldn't figure out how to connect them...

Appreciate if any kind people can give me some guidances =)

hi,
Configure the 555 timer as 3second monostable, which is triggered by the output of the comparator.
To post a circuit we would need more info on the voltages, timing of the comparator etc...

Last edited:
hi,
Configure the 555 timer as 3second monostable, which is triggered by the output of the comparator.
To post a circuit we would need more info on the voltages, timing of the comparator etc...

Hi Eric,

currently my 555 timer is running at 1 second period, n i'm using a 7805 voltage fixed voltage regulator.. Idea is from 3 of the 8 outputs from 74138 it will b directed to a LED which needs to light up for 3 seconds, then goes on to store as '1 bit' information in a flip flop for 10seconds before being reset to 0.. Can my circuit work?

Hi Eric,

currently my 555 timer is running at 1 second period, n i'm using a 7805 voltage fixed voltage regulator.. Idea is from 3 of the 8 outputs from 74138 it will b directed to a LED which needs to light up for 3 seconds,
Up to here should work OK.
then goes on to store as '1 bit' information in a flip flop for 10seconds before being reset to 0..
Dont follow exactly what you mean

Can my circuit work?

hi,
Any chance you could post a sketch of your project.?

Last edited:
hi,
Any chance you could post a sketch of your project.?

sorry i oni have hand-drawn sketch, haven do up on schematics yet.. and apologies for the poor resolution, basically after passing the 3 outputs thru a NAND gate ( since its an either-or case for my design assignment, if the lower branch gives me a '1' i will get a '0' for my upper branch, which i haven finish my design ) my idea is using that output I can pass in to my counter to give a pulse of 3 seconds, den '0' otherwise to light up my LED..
den I will pass the '1' into a flip-flop ( which in the drawing is a counter, sorry again ) that stores a '1' for 10s and then reset to '0' after 10s..

but i cant help to feel my design is kinda naive =/

Attachments

• P101010_22.17.JPG
    P101010_22.17.JPG
    549.7 KB · Views: 200
sorry i oni have hand-drawn sketch, haven do up on schematics yet.. and apologies for the poor resolution, basically after passing the 3 outputs thru a NAND gate ( since its an either-or case for my design assignment, if the lower branch gives me a '1' i will get a '0' for my upper branch, which i haven finish my design ) my idea is using that output I can pass in to my counter to give a pulse of 3 seconds, den '0' otherwise to light up my LED..
den I will pass the '1' into a flip-flop ( which in the drawing is a counter, sorry again ) that stores a '1' for 10s and then reset to '0' after 10s..

but i cant help to feel my design is kinda naive =/

hi,
The design is too fussy [ I am being kind to you ...:)], dont worry we have all been there.
I have lightened up your sketch, give me time to thru it.

EDIT:
Looking thru you circuit, its difficult to understand what you are expecting the circuit to do.?

Post a full circuit with some explanation of its function.

Attachments

• P101010_22.17.jpg
    P101010_22.17.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
hi,
The design is too fussy [ I am being kind to you ...:)], dont worry we have all been there.
I have lightened up your sketch, give me time to thru it.

EDIT:
Looking thru you circuit, its difficult to understand what you are expecting the circuit to do.?

Post a full circuit with some explanation of its function.

hi,

I am still struggling with the concepts =/ my full circuit isnt completed 'cos there are still components I do not know how to implement.. Basically I have most of the MSI
available in lab, and right now I am trying to achieve these outcomes with my circuit:

1) Light up my LED for 3 seconds, during which I should disable my 74138 from receiving any input ( counter and ??? )

2) store a 1-bit information and keep it for 10 seconds before reseting it (J-K flip flop?)

3) implementing a push button to send 1 cycle of input from a 4-bit dip switch

very sorry for the sketch =/

Maybe it would be best not to worry about the circuits yet but describe fully the function you want to perform.

Here's the sketch as well as the functions i aim to achieve but dont know how to get about doing it..

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Not getting the full concept of what needs to happen but have an LED light up for 3 seconds then shut off for 10 seconds?
sounds like a perfect candidate for a simple 4017 decade counter and/or a programmable up/down counter
need a better description like why are you having to store a bit for 10 seconds?
what function is the dip switch playing?
maybe try siming it in LT spice?

and where and what does the pushbutton supposed to do?
I can't locate the pushbutton?

and where and what does the pushbutton supposed to do?
I can't locate the pushbutton?

hi MrDeB

the push button is at the 7474 chip, the function will pass in 1 pulse into the circuit..

I have finished wiring most of the circuit except the lighting of the LED for 3 seconds using LEDs.. Btw I forgot to mention I only have the TTL chips to work with..

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back