Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to get veriable voltage from ATX psu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

polashd

I want to convert my ATX pc Power supply unit to use in hobby projects.

How can I boost the 12v to variable up to, say, 50v. (I may not need over 2A)

Can it be converted to buck-boost PSU?
How/what I should change/ modify in the circuit?

pls help

thanks
Didar

Voltages beyond 12V may well exceed the rating of existing components such as electrolytic caps and cause excessive current through others. Without a schematic for your particular variant of ATX supply it is difficult to advise.

There are many articles on how to turn them into a fixed voltage lab power supply but making them variable is a different story. Unless you have the schematic, which are almost impossible to get hold of, and you really know what you're doing I wouldn't attempt it. You also run the risk of exceeding the component specifications and you'd certainly have to change all the electrolytics on the 12V rail because they probably be rated for 16~25V.

You could probably build a buck boost convertor and run it from the 12V rail but it'd be easier to buy or build your own power supply from scratch in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back