Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to get started in programming PICs with ANSI C?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsodmike

Hello there!

For the past two years all my PIC work has been limited to ASM, MPLab and ICProg. (for coding, compling, and programming). How would I set about learning C for PICs (I have a C/C++ background) and what would I use to complie this into a hex file I can upload via ICProg?

Please recommend any good books that you find usefull!

Thanks!

Mike

well, first, get yourself a C compiler. Its not gonna be cheap, however, there are a few free evaluation software to download. Then, learn from the manual.
Anyway, the C for PIC is not ANSI C, as each compiler has different set of special instruction.
I have used CCS compiler before, it is..hm.. good for beginner, as it has many built-in function, such as RS232, I2C. You dont have to configure the registers.

If you already have a C/C++ background it will be fairly easy migration for you. I use the HITECH C compiler from www.htsoft.com and have no complaints. They were also very helpful when I was having configuration issues back when I first started.

Thanks, I'll look into Hitech ;) Will also give CSS C a try...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back