Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to get below -20 C on LCD???

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhhsssmmm

Hello

I have a confusion on the displaying of temperature value less than - 20.4 deg C.

Before i begin, here is my hardware/software setup

PIC18F4423 @ 20MHz ceramic
using 12bit ADC
Vref++ == VDD == 5V
thermistor: MCP9701A
compiler C18

Now my problem is explained as follows...

Im using the following code in my program to get the correct temperature readings. They are always offset adjusted as follows...

Code:
if(buffer_temp < offsetAdjst) //below 0 deg C               
    {

minus = 1; //activate -ve sign  

buffer_temp = offsetAdjst - buffer_temp; //doing offset adjustment

}

else //at or above 0 deg C

buffer_temp = buffer_temp - offsetAdjst; //doing offset adjustment

Now the offsetAdjst == 328 which is equal to 400mV which is equal to 0 deg C ... (factory calibrated).

I used this formula to get 328...

ADC = [ (400mV) x (12bit ADC full scale) ] / 5V
= 328

So now suppose if the buffer_temp becomes equal to 1 then it means (buffer_temp < offsetAdjst)....so based on
the above code...i do the following subtraction as....

buffer_temp = offsetAdjst - buffer_temp
= 328 - 1
= 327

so now buffer_temp == 327 .... this means that the temperature == - 20.4 deg C

i used this formula to get deg C....

V == [ (327) x (5V) ] / (12bit ADC full scale)

AND to get deg C we divide above result with 19.5mV as that is on the thermistor datasheet for 1 deg C

So ... V / 19.5mV == - 20.4 deg C ......... the -ve sign is attached by self in my code above.

Now the data sheet says that the thermistor has a wide reading range....-40 to +125.....and the above calculations
will not let me drop below -20.4....even if buffer_temp becomes 0 .....so its the offset value that needs adjusting i suppose....but if changed then that would have a bad effect on the other temperature readings and the temperature scale would not be accurately displaying the temperature on the LCD

...so just how do i get below -20 further all the way up to -40???

any ideas please.....any suggestions please.....help

thank you

Haseeb

sorry my fart!....

i did not look at the datasheet....the thermistor im using can only go to -10 deg C.

so kudos to brains....

thank you

hhhsssmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back