Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to get 6.7v out from 7.2v in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hooter

I have a 7.2v 6800mah Li-ion battery. I would like to get a regulated 6.7v (or very close) out and draw about 870ma. Could I use a LM2940T 5volt fixed output with a resistor (size ?) on the ground pin to maximise output as the dropout of 0.5v is all I need? If so, what size capacitor on output? Is there a better way to achieve this?

I have a 7.2v 6800mah Li-ion battery. I would like to get a regulated 6.7v (or very close) out and draw about 870ma. Could I use a LM2940T 5volt fixed output with a resistor (size ?) on the ground pin to maximise output as the dropout of 0.5v is all I need? If so, what size capacitor on output? Is there a better way to achieve this?

hi,
A Schottky diode can be used with a 0.5Vdrop at 870mA for 7.2V to 6.7V

A "7.2V" lithium-ion battery is 8.4V when fully charged and drops to about 6V during a discharge. Then a simple regulator or a diode will not regulate the voltage at 6.7V.

There really isn't much capacity left in a lithium - ion cell at 3.4 V. A low drop regulator will take a pair of cells down to 6.8 V while still giving out 6.7 V, and by that time the voltage is about to collapse.

You could design a regulator that would give 6.7 V out with 6 V in, but I think that it wouldn't gain as much as it would cost in loss of efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back