Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to get 15v dc from a 110v dc source

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanmoy

I have to drive a circuit which needs 15v dc (approx) from a constant voltage source 110v dc. I cannot rely on simple voltage divider as the current drawn by the circuit may vary. Is it possible to design a voltage regulator which will serve the purpose.

I can find numerous voltage regulator circuits but none of them can regulate voltage to this extent. Please reply if you have a design in your mind ( with component details of course :))

I don't have a nuclear power plant in my home :confused: . you can assume the circuit will draw upto 500mA. And please , don't reply with such bogus comment.

sanmoy>> don't reply with such bogus comment.
Then please, post a complete question.

Did you want to buy the converter or build it? If purchasing is ok, you can use an AC-DC SMPS converter / plug-pack. They have a rectifier to convert the AC into DC, so they will run happily on DC. e.g. **broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
and many others...

I am partial to using **broken link removed** for little projects. I hate Switching Mode power supplies because they crud-up the HF radio spectrum; I use those for target practice.

I am partial to using **broken link removed** for little projects. I hate Switching Mode power supplies because they crud-up the HF radio spectrum; I use those for target practice.
Partial or no, transformer-based wall-warts don't work too well with DC input unfortunately.

And yet you're posting here, using a device stuffed full of switch-mode PSU's, using a monitor that uses them, and a TV that uses them etc, etc, etc :D

Switch-mode PSU's are EVERYWHERE!!!.

A linear regulator will dissipate close to 50W at 500mA which would require a large heatsink on the regulator. If you want to do it more efficiently then you would need a switching regulator.

And yet you're posting here, using a device stuffed full of switch-mode PSU's, using a monitor that uses them, and a TV that uses them etc, etc, etc :D....

Yes, and the #$@$ things put birdies from 1.6MHz all the way to 148MHz. The DSL modem has a birdie that slowly sweeps through the entire 2m band. I moved here from a large metro area where the 40m band became unusable because of the all the consumer crap that now has switchers in it, switchers that are left running 24/7. Here in my present rural environment, I have no close neighbors, and I can unplug the Damn Samsung Smart TV when I'm not watching it, and I can minimize the number of LED drivers, battery chargers, CFL lamps, Solid-state ballasts, Electronic furnaces, etc, by substituting older stuff that has real iron transformers in it...

Mr RB. Are you aware of the existance of 110 VDC motors? See https://xhmotor.en.alibaba.com/product/592020777-210074622/110VDC_245W_1500RPM_PM_DC_motor.html

The voltage is common in some circles. These are not Universal motors. Note the link says PM DC motor. PM is permanent magnet.

Maybe they don't exist "Out there", where your from?

You're just speculating as to the source of the DC, which is sillier than me asking the question! The OP did not mention "DC motors" in any way and also has not answered the question as to where he is getting the 110v DC from.

For all we know it could be just as likely someone is expecting to get "110v DC" by putting "110v AC" through a diode or something.

As for an actual solution; most SMPS wallwarts meant to supply 15v DC from 110v AC input will also work fine with a 110v DC input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back