Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to find the wire combinations in a nema 17 stepper motor with six wires?

Elisa

Good day!

I am making an open source 3d printer as my minor project for college but I am stuck as my motors are not functioning properly, either they are just vibrating at their place or not working at all.

I am using Nema 17 motors(https://www.oyostepper.com/category-6-b0-Nema-17-Stepper-Motor.html) with A4998 stepper driver and Aurdino Mega 2560. I googled how to know the correct Tx and Rx terminals, as I thought it was problem, but now my motor is not functioning at all when i run it individually with the Arduino, power supply and stepper driver. Can you please tell me how I should get my motors to run?

Any feedback will be highly appreciated.

A standard bipolar stepper motor has two separate windings. Those can be either two wire, or three wire with a centre tap.

Looking at the site you link to, the motor likely has Black-Yellow-Green for one winding and Red-White-Blue for the other. Just leave the yellow and white wires disconnected in that case.
(The connections are shows for each motor on that site, if you look at its details).

One winding should go to 1A - 1B on the driver module (eg. black - green), and the other winding to 2A - 2B (eg. red - blue).

As long as one winding is to 1x and the other winding to 2x on the driver, it does not matter which is which or which way around the A-B are. It should work Ok regardless.

If it runs backwards, swap the A & B connections for one winding only.

If the wire colours are different, look at the exact motor datasheet, or check for continuity between them using a multimeter. The two separate winding should be obvious; you may be able to find the highest resistance combination on each set, but that depends on the multimeter accuracy. As long as you have two wires from each winding to the 1x and 2x terminals on the driver it should run - just not with as much power of you only have half the winding connected.

ps. Note that the driver logic supply VDD & GND should be from the Arduino - but the MOTOR supply VMOT and GND at the top of the module needs to be at least 12V or better 24V.

Do not get confused by the voltage rating of the motors - the driver module controls current, and that inherently limits the motor voltage and power dissipation. Trying to run them at low voltages will give near zero power. (The high voltage is needed to overcome the winding inductance, so reasonable switching speeds are possible).

Latest threads

Back