Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to find loudspeaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fahime

Dears,
I 'm looking for small sized loudspeakers 8ohm/0.5 watt. I need a huge quantity. I searched in the web but the speakers are mostly large ones. Do you know how can I search for it? or do you know any company name producing it?
Is there any special name for it? I've seen some are named as mini speakers or mylar speakers. But I don't know what they exactly mean.

Try this link:

https://www.partsexpress.com/

They do mostly audio equipment. Not sure about your location, so shipping might be a problem ($$$), but the prices and selection is good, and plenty of information. Should at least gets some brand names, and part numbers to work with there...

If you don't know what "mini" and "mylar" mean then look them up in a dictionary. Mini is small. Mylar is a speaker with a plastic cone. Most speakers have a paper cone.

Mylar is a type of plastic, these speakers have mylar cones.
**broken link removed**

These speakers have paper cones.
**broken link removed**

Speakers with paper cones generally sound better but they're sensitive to moisture and mechanical damage. Mylar speakers are more waterproof and the cone won't tare as esilly but they don't sound as good.

Sorry for being nosey but what do you actually want these speakers for?

What about the physical dimensions?
Did you deside on the cone material?
Are there any requirements for magnetic shieldsing?

There lots of factors to consider other than impedance and power rating when designing something.

Some people care about how a speaker sounds like. It might SHRIEK or BOOM. Cheap speakers usually do both.

A decient enclosure also helps.

As far as speakers go, do you really get what you pay for?

Can you actually buy cheap great sounding speakers?

I buy VALUE when I buy a speaker.
It sounds nearly the same as good sounding speakers selling for double the price.
It sounds much better than speakers selling for a little less.
It sounds the best of all the speakers with the same price.

Some very expensive speakers sound like crap. Some cheap ones sound better.

Dr.EM said:
If you put all of them in one well designed case.
Many years ago a magazine had a speaker project called "The Sweet Sixteen". It used 16 cheap crappy little speakers all on the front panel of one box. The speakers were all different so hopefully a frequency dip in one will be a peak in another.

Since they are all playing and in the same plane then there is severe phase-shift cancellation if you are not directly in front of it. The total cone area of all the speakers was high but they were poor quality so the huge speaker didn't have deep woof and no high tweet.

Hero999 said:
Sorry for being nosey but what do you actually want these speakers for?

What about the physical dimensions?
Did you deside on the cone material?
Are there any requirements for magnetic shieldsing?

There lots of factors to consider other than impedance and power rating when designing something.
Hi, I need this loudspeaker for a Doorbell. It should be small enough (approximately 30x6mm)
Could you please tell me what factors should I consider to choose a loudspeaker?

30mm is too small for a loudspeaker. It is used in earphones or as a high frequency tweeter. It won't be heard more than a few feet away because its sensitivity and power handling are too low. It won't reproduce low audio frequencies so your "ding-dong" must sound like "beep-beep" at a high frequency.

Clock radios have a 3" (76mm) speaker and can be heard in the next room if that is far enough. The speaker must have a box big enough to make good sound.

They do exist.

30mm speakers normally have mylar cones and are mainly used for toys and small novelty items that talk or make other sounds too compex for a piezo transducer.

Audioguru it right their bass response isn't very good but it's more than sufficient for a doorbell, however they're not enough and the highest rating you can get is 100mW. I would say they sound better than piezo transducers but no where near as good as 3" speaker.

They must be very cheap but I haven't seen them in any electronics parts catalogues.

I bought a 25mm speaker with a mylar cone from a surplus electronics shop. It was 8 ohms, 0.1W and I used it in my son's alarm clock with a little amplifier to replace the piezo that wasn't loud enough. I tried playing music through the speaker and it sounded like an earphone. The alarm made high frequency beeps through it that were nice and loud. It wouldn't play a doorbell sound properly.

That must've been cheap and nasty speaker. I know there're better small speakers around than that. They are used in hand-held games consoles and some mobile phones.

Due to the small size bell cavity, I can't use bigger size loudspeaker. So I have to get out of it by getting max power and cone design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back