Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to Extend Digital Camera Battery's Life for 10+ Hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckyNorris

I recently purchased a Mini DV VD80 Pocket Digital Video Camera:

**broken link removed**

I would like to have it record 10-12 hours of continuous video footage. It has a
Built-in Li rechargeable battery which lasts about 2-3 hours.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys!

They do make and sell an AC adapter. However if it must run on battery it comes with a 3.7 volt 260 mAH battery that yields about 2 hours. Normal running power consumption is 120 mA @ 3.7 volts. In theory, give or take, a 2 AH 3.7 volt battery should give you what you want.

The big problem is it comes with a 2 GB SD card for storage and can handle up to an 8 GB card. I have no clue how long an 8 GB card would take to fill.

Ron

Thanks Ron
They do make and sell an AC adapter. However if it must run on battery it comes with a 3.7 volt 260 mAH battery that yields about 2 hours. Normal running power consumption is 120 mA @ 3.7 volts. In theory, give or take, a 2 AH 3.7 volt battery should give you what you want.
Thanks Ron!
Unfortunately, the MINI-DV doesn't allow recoding while the battery pack is connected. Using an AC adapter converter to USB also doesn't allow recording since it must be the actual adapter with a mini plug.

The big problem is it comes with a 2 GB SD card for storage and can handle up to an 8 GB card. I have no clue how long an 8 GB card would take to fill.

Ron
40 minutes per GB recording time (6 hours with 8 GB microSD). So, I guess I only need it to run ~ 6 hours.

I was thinking of connecting three Li rechargeable batteries together and having them distribute the current evenly.

Last edited:
You can connect new LiPo batteries of the same make in parallel. However the use and charging of LiPo batteries is not my forte and we have many forum members who are quite knowledgeable on the subject. Thus rather than make a bad or unsafe suggestion let's see if someone else comes along with some thoughts.

Ron

Is there space to enable a switched power socket to be added, to connect an external battery pack instead of the internal battery ?

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Do you think it's possible to connect the Li battery (connected to the camera) to another Li battery, and have it charge and power the camera at the same time?

You can connect new LiPo batteries of the same make in parallel. However the use and charging of LiPo batteries is not my forte and we have many forum members who are quite knowledgeable on the subject. Thus rather than make a bad or unsafe suggestion let's see if someone else comes along with some thoughts.

Ron

I like both of your ideas. Using a bigger battery (i.e. 2Ah 3.7V) and connecting LiPo batteries in parallel. Are you sure I can connect the 2Ah battery without it frying the circuit?

The circuit will only draw the needed current. An automotive battery for example can deliver hundreds of amps but the lights only draw several amps. The lamps only draw what they need even though the battery can deliver many times that much. You cannot exceed the rated voltage. If I have two 3.7 volt 1 amp hour batteries and I connect them in parallel I now have a 3.7 volt 2 amp hour battery. Effectively this will double the overall battery life of a charge.

The caution comes with charging LiPo batteries. Also, you never want to discharge a LiPO battery beyond its rated max discharge rate but that doesn't apply here. LiPo batteries should only be charged using chargers designed for them.

Ron

Could you pause as well?

I know you did not ask about this but do you actually need it to be continuous? Might it be possible to pause recording during "idle" periods?

Of course you will need some control circuit for that.

You can connect new LiPo batteries of the same make in parallel.
Wouldn't that be risky if the two batteries were not of similar capacity and similar state of charge? I'm no expert on LiPos but IMHO a fully-charged high-capacity battery could damage a parallelled nearly-discharged small-capacity battery.

Wouldn't that be risky if the two batteries were not of similar capacity and similar state of charge? I'm no expert on LiPos but IMHO a fully-charged high-capacity battery could damage a parallelled nearly-discharged small-capacity battery.

Hi Alec and yes. Earlier I mentioned:

You can connect new LiPo batteries of the same make in parallel.

That would have been much better stated to say you can connect new LiPo batteries of the same make and ratings in parallel as in identical model numbers of the same make. Thanks for pointing that out as my initial statement was incomplete.

Ron

Thanks guys.

Connecting LiPos in parallel shouldn't be necessary,as I only need it to run for about 24 hours. Do you think something like this would work?

**broken link removed**

So I decided to go with this:

**broken link removed**

How would I connect the battery to the circuit on the camera and still be able to charge it with the charger?

**broken link removed**

Thanks again for the help guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back