Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to Drive Stepper Motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

anand_jain

Hello Everybody,
i am a newbie to electronics.......... anyhow i got the stepper motor for my project but i don't know how to use them ............ i mean how to drive them. i don't want to use all sophisticated chip like LD297, UCN series etc ..... because of there unavailabilities here. I have build-up the dual H-brige ckt which can be controlled through binary input. But still it is not working.............

The motor i am having is bipolar 4 wire type and Step angle is 7.5 deg.

So plz help me out............

anand_jain said:
Hello Everybody,
i am a newbie to electronics.......... anyhow i got the stepper motor for my project but i don't know how to use them ............ i mean how to drive them. i don't want to use all sophisticated chip like LD297, UCN series etc ..... because of there unavailabilities here. I have build-up the dual H-brige ckt which can be controlled through binary input. But still it is not working.............

The motor i am having is bipolar 4 wire type and Step angle is 7.5 deg.

So plz help me out............

You have to step them in the correct sequence, there's load's of information about them on the Internet. Probably your easiest way is to use a micro-controller, personally I'd use a PIC, but any will do, it's a simple application.

The more common type of stepper motors (unipolar) don't require H-Bridges, only bipolar ones do - are you sure which type you've got?. Unipolar are easier to use, the software is simpler, and so is the driver circuit.

Nigel Goodwin said:
The more common type of stepper motors (unipolar) don't require H-Bridges, only bipolar ones do - are you sure which type you've got?. Unipolar are easier to use, the software is simpler, and so is the driver circuit.

So, what's the point of bipolar steppers then?

hantto said:
Nigel Goodwin said:

So, what's the point of bipolar steppers then?

Presumably they are cheaper to make?.

Hi,

I have steppers working with PIC16F84 and L293 chip. The only drawback is the amount of power you'll need. The great thing with this chip is that it is very easy to connect and control.

Please take a look at this link:

https://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/l293.html

If you need some more help please mail me. I can send you some code where you can start from.

Best regards,
Pedro Cardoso

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back