Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to desolder capacitors from Computer's motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got 150 grams lump of copper on an iron stick. And a blowlamp. It works very nicely on computer motherboards, but you have to be quick and know exactly what you're doing. If you get one, practise a LOT on scrap boards until you get good at it.
Sometimes, if I only want the chip from an otherwise scrap board, I shove a screwdriver under the chip and use the blowlamp directly on the back of the board. SHE WILL COMPLAIN if you do this indoors.

you might consider "sacrifice" method... if component is dead, cut it's legs
or destroy it then remove pin by pin. if the component is ok but you don't care about board, well... destroy board. working on mobos is pretty tough since most of components and solder joints are very delicate. once i replaced pair of cracked sockets for memory modules. it worked but i don't plan on doing it ever again. if i get such problem in the future, i'll solder darn things right into socket...

roboticmisinfo,
You can try to de-solder each pin and risk lifting the pads and barrels, or if you have a solder pot (you can get a used one on the web for $50 or less) put kapton tape over the surounding area to isolate it from cantacting the solder in the pot and also prevent heat transfer, then, simply place the exposed area of the IC (bottom of PCB in most case) over the molten solder wait until all solder connections are re-flowed, use any tool that can pick up the IC and...pick it up :p , may have to wiggle it a bit to lossen stubborn solder joints while in the removal process. Hope this help, good luck.

wuming79,
You are lucky to get a lot of good feed backs. If all doesn't work, then try this.
Apply soldering "flux" prefer "no-clean",many electronics components retailers carry it. If not, Home Depot has flux and solder also.
Well apply flux to both side of the board and touch one lead at a time, wiggle the cap to see if the solder joint gives, do the same to the other lead. Most caps are made of 2 leads (right?), work it one lead at a time.
In the extreme case where one lead of the cap is connected through the board's main ground plain(most of the time the negative - lead), apply flux to both side, use a heat gun (hair dryer is good enough) blow on the area of the cap (bottom side where the leads are showing), do not hold the heat blower close to the board, keep moving it in circle, touch your cleaned iron to the solder joints and if they melt instantly then stop blowing and start wiggling... :p the cap.
Last, remember to clean the area with isopropal alcohol (regualar item in most drug stores), otherwise your board will be damage by flux's agents. if used "no-clean" flux then, you don't have to do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back