Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to design circuit count even numbers 0-2-4-6-8-0-2 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm not sure, 7 segment decoder should be different...(so that the successive odd number count should be displaying the previous even number - All possible if the logic inside decoder is changed)... it can be done by this way.
But the actual way used might be different...

use flip flop.
Please help me , thanks

Sounds like homework. One approach: build a state machine with five states (takes only three flip flops). Allocate the states so that they create the bit patterns for 0 to 4, but wire the outputs left shifted by one bit, creating the correct BCD patterns for 0,2,4,6, and 8

You'll need to be more specific: count the output from another circuit or generate the numbers? And what format BCD, Hex, binary.
If simply digital, then just trigger on the least significant digit, if that's a 0 then you have an even number...

Sounds like homework. One approach: build a state machine with five states (takes only three flip flops). Allocate the states so that they create the bit patterns for 0 to 4, but wire the outputs left shifted by one bit, creating the correct BCD patterns for 0,2,4,6, and 8

You'll need to be more specific: count the output from another circuit or generate the numbers? And what format BCD, Hex, binary.
If simply digital, then just trigger on the least significant digit, if that's a 0 then you have an even number...

these would give him what he/she's searching for...
what would be the answer if its PRIME Number?

Last edited:
Use a divide by four counter.

Connect the A output to the 7 segment decoder's B input, the B output to the C input etc. and leave the D output and A input unused (connect the input to 0V and leave the output unconnected).

You'll need an and gate to reset the counter when the A and C outputs are high, you can use a diode AND or a real gate. I'd only bother with the gate if I was using a quad NAND IC to make an oscillator.

Sorry, I meant a divide by eight counter, I'd use a divide by 16 counder because it's a common IC.

All I was saying is that there's no need for a shift register or anything fancy like that, just shift the connections to the decoder by one bit.

Last edited:
Sorry, I meant a divide by eight counter, I'd use a divide by 16 counder because it's a common IC...

OP stated the solution must start with flip-flops, so I suspect this is a homework assignment.

No, you need at least three bits because there are five states, 0, 2, 4, 6 and 8.

My Hero,

Ur right, you'll have to add another bit [just another JK_flipflop] and figure out how to reset all after the cycle when the most significant bit goes high.
Should be quite a number of examples out there on the internet I'd think.
[I'm not an expert here]

Thanks all!
The need to do is count the number of transfer switches 0-2-4-6-8-0-2 ... when it counted 1-3-5-7-9-1-3 ...

Only a single giant's all. But I do not know where to start.

Last edited:
Sory I don't know what you mean.
Do you want it to count in even or odd numbers?

What's a transfer switch?

To count 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 it's the same as 0, 2, 3, 4, 8 but you make the first bit permanently high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back