Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to design a transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie_tech2

please i need help in how to design a transformer
i am a beginner i dont know how to begin
if i can get a general mathematical formular/ratio in relation to the size of the wire,the turns it will give for the primary/secondary, for a particular input/output voltage, i will be very happy

Equations

You can use these simple equations to solve your problems:

1) The transformerequation: The effect have to be the same on both sides of the transformer

2) Primary- and secodaryvoltage: The voltage on the secondary is equal to the proportion between the turns on the primary and the secondary side.

Good luck with your project

Attachments

• equa.jpg
    equa.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 1,217
Re: Equations

Electronics4you said:

1) The transformerequation: The effect have to be the same on both sides of the transformer

2) Primary- and secodaryvoltage: The voltage on the secondary is equal to the proportion between the turns on the primary and the secondary side.

I'd like to point out that these are necessary but no where near sufficient equations to complete a good transformer design.

The original poster has not provided enough information.
1) input voltage?
2) how many windings / taps?
3) what frequency of operation?
4) Load load load... what is the load... (output voltage(s) & current)
5) physical size contraints?

I've never seen anyone on here do a complete tranformer design for anyone (I could be wrong?). The most I've seen is someone throws a couple of bones to the poster in the form of simple equations. I'm not going to break with tradition and design one for you.

I can however, recommend some excellent books on how to do transformer design. If you are interested?

Optikon said:
Electronics4you said:

I'd like to point out that these are necessary but no where near sufficient equations to complete a good transformer design.

1) input voltage?

I've never seen anyone on here do a complete tranformer design for anyone (I could be wrong?). The most I've seen is someone throws a couple of bones to the poster in the form of simple equations. I'm not going to break with tradition and design one for you.

I can however, recommend some excellent books on how to do transformer design. If you are interested?

How will i design a high frequencey transformer say 10MHz ???? CAn i apply the same equations or what is the criteria for selecting the appropriate Copper guage???

Can u plz recommend the books......

ASKANA said:
Optikon said:
Electronics4you said:

1) input voltage?

How will i design a high frequencey transformer say 10MHz ???? CAn i apply the same equations or what is the criteria for selecting the appropriate Copper guage???

Can u plz recommend the books......

The three "bibles" I use for all of my own custome transformer designs (50/60 Hz type stuff and up beyond 10 MHz)

1) "Handbook of transformer design and applications."
2nd edition by William M. Flanagan

2) "Switchmode power supply handbook."
2nd edition by Keith Billings

3) "Switching power supply design."
2nd edition by Abraham I. Pressman

I have another one by Marty Brown, something like Power supply design handbook. I do NOT recommend that one. It's a bunch of hand waving and rules of thumb that can get you into trouble if you are after good design methodologies. If you want cookbook circuits, you are much better off reading application notes from linear tech/ national / ti.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back