Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to decrease ir receiver sensitivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

yusuf

Hello Guys :
I have created IR toggle switch and the circuit diagram is attached.
It is universal IR receiver.
I am using my TV remote as transmitter.

It is working Excellent ! :)
But the problem is :
It ( IR receiver) is very sensitivity. It detects the IR transmitter ( TV remote) from anywhere means
when I point to wall , left , right , down , up..

I want the IR receiver to detect only when the TV remote is pointed at it.

Attachments

• IR_SWITCH.png
    IR_SWITCH.png
    89.2 KB · Views: 654
Use a PIC to decode the TSOP1738 output corresponding to a specific button on the remote.

You can do it easily with geometry. Just get an IR opaque tube and attach it to the sensor of the IR detector. That will increase directionality and prevent detection of reflected signals. I suggest a tube about 6 mm (1/4") in diameter. Aluminum works great or a plastic straw covered with black electrical tape will work too.

John

Read Nigel's IR remote tutorials linked to on this site...

I agree. I think mike misread the question.

No, I just think that I would prefer to be able to control my special device from my remote anywhere in the room, rather than limiting the field of view of the receiver. Every remote I have ever seen has one or more "useless" buttons that could be co-opted to control the special device...

I agree. I think mike misread the question.

I think Mike answered the REAL question - the problem with the circuit isn't it's sensitivity, but it's complete uselessness as a remote control system - it's useless unless it's done correctly, detecting any modulated IR signal (including random noise) will just give continual false triggering.

I think Mike answered the REAL question - the problem with the circuit isn't it's sensitivity, but it's complete uselessness as a remote control system - it's useless unless it's done correctly, detecting any modulated IR signal (including random noise) will just give continual false triggering.
so please any help sir,
what modification will i have to do..

There are really two issues here.

The first is the fact that he is not using decoding.

The second and the one I was myopic about is that it is too sensitive. He will have that problem even with the uC because IR remotes are often made to work even if the signal bounces off a surface or two to get to the sensor. He may still need the tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back