Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to crimp ribbon cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

patroclus

I need to attach a female connector to a short ribbon cable, but I have no special tool, and it seems quite difficult to crimp because it's hard. Is there any way yo make it without specific tool?? I only need to do 2 or 3 cables, that's why I don't want to buy another tool for this.

thank you.

Surely you own a hammer Patrolus, just don't belt the thing or use a vise with protective jaws. Thats how I connect all my ribbon cables to the fittings and haven't broken 1 yet

Cheers Bryan :D

I tried the hammer trick, but I broke 2 conectors (the lateral clip that holds both parts together)... How can I do to avoid this hapend?

I'm Spanish and don't know what vise is, can you explain or link an image??
maybe this **broken link removed**

If so, I don't own one...
Thank you!

I find a vice alot better then the crimp tool

i agree with styx... i used vicegrip and it works.
after "crimping" use sharp knife to remove excess cable.

A vice has worked for me.
However I prefer to make sure the cable is cleanly cut before crimping rather than try to trim afterwards.

JimB

The pic you show is of a drill vice. You could also use a bench vise. The smaller, clamp to the desk type jeweller vices are very useful. The jaws can be rotated around to hold the part in various positions. You can use them to hold connectors, etc. while soldering them and a myriad of other things. Get one, you'd wonder how you ever managed without one after using it for a short time.
Beware though, there are some very poor quality vices in the cheap bins sometimes. Easy to test for a good one, just srew it up tight by hand, if the jaws break or the hand pin bends its no good.
Using a hammer do crimp a ribbon connector is VERY crude.
Klaus

patroclus said:
I tried the hammer trick, but I broke 2 conectors (the lateral clip that holds both parts together)... How can I do to avoid this hapend?

I'm Spanish and don't know what vise is, can you explain or link an image??
maybe this **broken link removed**

If so, I don't own one...
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back