Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to create TEXT outline in GROUNDPLANE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kasamiko

Hi,

can somebody tells me how to create a text outline in groundplane in Eagle?

like this:

Attachments

• Snap1.jpg
    Snap1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 2,298
That's a good one. I thought they just put it on a restrict layer or something, but I can't duplicate that.

Your font has to be set to vector. You can adjust the letters with the ratio (this =20). Make the text in tRestrict (or bRestrict). Set the isolate to zero. Then elect to not show the tRestrict layer. Other layers may work too, but I am not sure.

ghost-png.52801

John

Edit: Forgot to say this is in EAGLE. I don't know about other programs.

Attachments

• GHOST.png
    GHOST.png
    694 bytes · Views: 1,771
Last edited:

Attachments

• text.gif
    text.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 706
Your font has to be set to vector. You can adjust the letters with the ratio (this =20). Make the text in tRestrict (or bRestrict). Set the isolate to zero. Then elect to not show the tRestrict layer.

I tried it on the restrict layer, but the isolate values just made the text blocky. I guess if you want to do this and keep your isolate around the rest of the ground plane you'll need to make a separate polygon with a 0 isolate around just the text. I just didn't go far enough with it.

Last edited:
Nice, so ya, you can keep your regular isolate you just need to make an inner polygon with a 0 isolate, and don't forget 0 width as well. Thanks jpanhalt.

Attachments

• eagle_reverse_text.png
    eagle_reverse_text.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 686
got it!

Yes! got it guys! :D

BTW: is there a way to change the VECTOR FONT??
I think it's nice to see some script on PCB...

Nice, so ya, you can keep your regular isolate you just need to make an inner polygon with a 0 isolate, and don't forget 0 width as well. Thanks jpanhalt.

I can't just figure this out...I'll make a TEXT in BRestrict then I'll make a polygon around it? in what layer? BOTTOM or BRestrict?? I'll get an error if my copper pour is connected to GND..:(

Attachments

• Snap2.jpg
    Snap2.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 606
Last edited:
1) With the current 5.11 version of Eagle, you are limited to the one vector font. There may be some ULP to change that, but I didn't look for it. Check user groups and on the Cadsoft site for user contributions.
2) Your polygon would be in the signal layer in which you want the text to etch.
3) Polygons are very useful. You are allowed to have various priorities. If you are new to Eagle, it is tempting to use other geometric shapes and just fill them to "look like" large signal areas. BUT, they do not become signal layers and can create problems with DRC, routing, and when you also have a polygon fill. Polygons can be named signals, are recognized as signals, and don't have the aforementioned problems.

I think everyone who has replied to this thread will agree that it is worth an hour or so to get comfortable with polygons.

John

Last edited:
Threw this into a test board I made up. It does look kinda cool on a board with no mask.

Not much space for any real text, but I'll at least have an idea of what the heck I made a year from now when I dig it out of a box.

Attachments

• 20110501-speedo-adjust-001.jpg
    20110501-speedo-adjust-001.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 698
Wow cool! how is your isolation on tracks?

I'm not certain what you are asking. You mean how well is the isolate value working with the rest of the ground plane? It's working fine. There's a small polygon just around the text with a isolate of 0 and width of 0. I would have put text here anyways, but using this reverse method it cuts into the groundplane less and takes less space.

I populated the board and it works fine.

Attachments

• 20110502-speedo-adjust-001.jpg
    20110502-speedo-adjust-001.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 647
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back