Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to create high current dc power supply from mains electrcity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is all rigt here:**broken link removed**

Just click on specifications. This supply will provide both AC and DC. If you need more current, please let me know.

John

Put some effort into asking a better question!

Amps out? Volts out? Volts in? How good does the regulation need to be? What application? Linear or Switcher? (I go on for many lines...)

I would like achieve between 30 and 50 amps out. The voltage will depend on the transformer i can get. I would just like to know what parts I need to acieve this and the simplest way of putting it all together. I intend using it to power an electromagnet.

The transformer for that design will be the most expensive part. I suggest that you price what transformer you can get. Then look at the cost of a used DC welder. The latter may be cheaper and be more capable in terms of current.

Remember, the fact that a welder can deliver up to 100 or 200 amps does not mean that your magnet will have to be designed for such high current. The amount of current the magnet will draw or try to draw will depend on its resistance and the voltage.

John

Last edited:
If i step down mains to 12VAC and then connect to a bridge rectifier, i'll end up with dc. My problem is how do i influence the amount of current. Do i need specifically rated rectifiers to get such high currents?Basically, an AC-DC adaptor will give about 12VDC at around 1 amp, but i would like to achieve at least 30 amps.

You start with the electromagnet and work back.

As MikeMi stated, start with the magnet. You wind that with the number of turns and wire size to give the desired ampere-turns and resistance. This will determine its operating voltage and current. To control the current you can add a large power resistor in series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back