Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to create asymmetrical traces using EAGLE CAD 6.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

magvitron

Hi all,
I am doing an RF work and I need to change the width of the tracks like , smooth tapering from one size to another, change in width in the 90 degree bends etc. HOw can I achieve these things? any one done any of these lately?
hoping for an early reply ;)

I'm not certain what exactly you are doing, but you can make triangular shapes and things by using smaller wires and using multiples overlapping each other. ...or you can join a smaller and larger trace using a polygon.

I use the wire method for cutting the edges of T junctions.

Thanks for the reply DirtyLude , I kinda got around the problem I used the polygon tool for making the odd 90 degree bends with the PADs layer. Is this okay ?

U can use a polygon fill bounded by thin wire guides. The wireguides will permit you to taper the fill or change direction etc. at will.

@magvitron

1) You probably know not to use geometric shapes or lines for nets. That will cause a problem, because they are for drawing and cannot be made into nets.
2) The polygon tool is one way to go, which you found out. It is a very powerful tool.
3) There is a teardrop pad facility in 6.xx. Depending on exactly what you need, I would see whether it had any properties I could divert to this purpose, such as smooth tapering.

John

@Mosaic, Thank you very much for the reply, I figured out exactly like you said, the polygon tool, but I have a problem, i selected Pads layer for drawing the polygon the reason for that are
1. I need to make the shapes that can overlap with pads
2. If I take the top layer for the polygon fill, the I need the stop layer for making a co-planar wave guide width thingy and if i tweak with the stop layer, I cannot make the co-planar thing for my desired design spec.
So, I am kinda like between the sea and the devil here
@japanhalt
Thanks for the reply.i just need the RF thing to work, the impedance matching of the whole thing is a big problem. If some company finds a solution that can make these sort of thing like an auto-router that will meet the RF requirement, it will be brilliant :)

1. I need to make the shapes that can overlap with pads
In Eagle anything can overlap anything, so as long as you don´t have OCD and need to resolve all the DRC errors you can basically draw anything you like in the top and bottom etch layers.

finally i made those, but some problems are there, the coplanar waveguide thingies are okay, but I've created those with PADs layer, now Iam getting errors like layer abuse :rolleyes: So, .. now I'm trying to create gerber from the board file! and its showing a lot of errors! is that a problem?!

The few times I have gotten "layer abuse," it was serious. And by "few," I mean only twice with just one project. Eagle was right; although, it took a little investigation for me to find the error.

Can you provide details or an image (screen print) of what is causing that error?

John

Untitled.png here you go john.

I would simply check the gerbers with some viewer like gerberlogix and be done with it, and approve all the errors if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back