Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to create a singular positive pulse signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fluffyboii

For a long time being unable to easily create a singular pulse, simulating something like a button press annoyed me. For example: I have two CD4017 chips in a sequencer. One of them is driving LEDs while other is used for logic signals. I did this because I did not want to bother with transistor buffers at each output. Both share same clock and reset inputs. But because we live an flawed World these chips are not in sync when the circuit is first powered on. LEDs and logic outputs don't match unless I give a positive reset signal at least for once. Even though this is not the end of the World it is very inconvenient. Yet I can't find a way to automate it.
Lets say I used the clock signal of the sequencer with a latch. Now I have a constant positive signal at latchs output. How will I make it a pulse though. Do I need another clock signal to pull the enable pin of the latch low, after that. Digially making this would require lots of work. In fact I already put more work into making two CD4017 work together inatead slapping some bjt buffers at the outputs already.

Or lets say I want a monolitic timer with NE555. But I want it to start as soon as when the circuit is powered on instead of connecting a button to trigger pin. There is no way of doing it as much as I know.

And while having the CS class about logic gates it always bothered me that there was not a clean way of having a "delay" gate of some kind. I mean you can use multiple gates and sequencal components to have the same effect but there are not a single prebuild, easy to apply delay option. Which usually makes things more complex than it should be.
I think some transistor magic should be able to create what I want. Sadly I can't wrap my head around analog mathematics rabbit hole. I can't do the calculations in order to design a realiable circuit lile that.

Last edited:
If I understand what you wrote, most people use a resistor/capacitor reset circuit to hold both chips in reset. You don't say what is supplying the clock but if that device is held in reset for longer than the 4017s then all should be in sync.

Mike.

A "Power-on reset" is a very common function, and simple to implement:

2b0281292055791e0695c6ce086772622844c825.gif

That will generate a brief low pulse as power is switched on. If you want a high pulse, put the capacitor above the resistor and diode instead. It will work equally well at other voltages, 12V or whatever.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "delay gate"??

To delay a logic signal, you can use a series resistor and cap to 0V, feeding a schmitt trigger input logic gate - a 40106, 4093, 74HC14 etc.

Use another inverter section to drive the R-C to get the signal back to the same polarity.

For resistor capacitor calculations, a very! rough but very simple approximation for "ballpark" mental calculations, as the time depends on voltage thresholds, type of circuit etc., is:
One megohm and One microfarad give One second.

So eg. if you wanted somewhere around 1mS, you could use 1M + 1nF, 1K + 1uF, 10K + 0.1uF etc.
eg. for 1/1000th the time, take three zeros off somewhere between the R and C values.

Use temporary components to see what time it really gives in the actual circuit then adjust a value if it's too far out.

Or lets say I want a monolitic timer with NE555. But I want it to start as soon as when the circuit is powered on instead of connecting a button to trigger pin. There is no way of doing it as much as I know.
You could use the rc circuit shown in post #3. But instead of connecting the rc junction to reset, connect it to the trigger pin. When the 555 powers on, the timer will run.

A "Power-on reset" is a very common function, and simple to implement:

2b0281292055791e0695c6ce086772622844c825.gif

That will generate a brief low pulse as power is switched on. If you want a high pulse, put the capacitor above the resistor and diode instead. It will work equally well at other voltages, 12V or whatever.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "delay gate"??

To delay a logic signal, you can use a series resistor and cap to 0V, feeding a schmitt trigger input logic gate - a 40106, 4093, 74HC14 etc.

Use another inverter section to drive the R-C to get the signal back to the same polarity.

For resistor capacitor calculations, a very! rough but very simple approximation for "ballpark" mental calculations, as the time depends on voltage thresholds, type of circuit etc., is:
One megohm and One microfarad give One second.

So eg. if you wanted somewhere around 1mS, you could use 1M + 1nF, 1K + 1uF, 10K + 0.1uF etc.
eg. for 1/1000th the time, take three zeros off somewhere between the R and C values.

Use temporary components to see what time it really gives in the actual circuit then adjust a value if it's too far out.
Yes, thats what I needed. Will try to implement it on the sequencer.

"Normally" you do a power on reset with a Schmitt trigger gate to insure
you get a clean pulse, not this :

Using 74HC14 or equivalent

View attachment 138610

Regards, Dana.
Can an op amp schmitt setup used or does it nees to be a special schmitt IC. Are there single or dual ones for that avaible. All I got are hex schmitt ICs.

Certainly could be done with an OpAmp.

No on special schmidt. But somewhat depends on your actual needs, eg.
range of input, output logic levels, etc...

Regards, Dana.

Certainly could be done with an OpAmp.

No on special schmidt. But somewhat depends on your actual needs, eg.
range of input, output logic levels, etc...

Regards, Dana.
Well I have too many LM741s. They are usually useless so I may just use one for that. I don't need presicion or speed.

Just be careful about output level of 741 connected to logic, if you
have to clamp it with a R with Zener to ground clamp at output.

Regards, Dana.

Just be careful about output level of 741 connected to logic, if you
have to clamp it with a R with Zener to ground clamp at output.

Regards, Dana.
I thought CD4017 worked fine with +12V reset signal. Was I doing wrong to connect positive rail to reset via a buton. Shall I use a 12V zener. I may have 9V zeners too.

If you want to get it right the first time. Define output voltage tolerance , time duration and load.

If you want to get it right the first time. Define output voltage tolerance , time duration and load.
I assume half or quarter of a second is good. It can be probably shorter. Output voltage should be around 9-12V but I am sure CD4017 can reset with lower voltage, load is probably not much since it will be connected to the reset pin of the CD4017s and that got a 100K pull down resistor connected so maybe few micro amps.

The opamp seems somewhat overkill..

You could add a PNP transistor to the RC circuit I posted; emitter to V+, base to the RC via another 100K resistor and collector to 4017 reset, with the 100K or 10K pulldown on that.

It should dramatically speed up the falling edge of the reset in to the 4017 to avoid any problems with it being a non schmitt input.

If you do use the opamp schmitt, you can connect the output directly or using a low value resistor, as long as it is working on the exact same supply as the 4017.

Normally edge triggering CMOS resets can be done with very high R small C caps to get long time delays but with a short pulse.

Here's an example with a 4 bit sigma-delta ADC using an RC reset on negative edge of clock. https://tinyurl.com/2lt58whu

I thought CD4017 worked fine with +12V reset signal. Was I doing wrong to connect positive rail to reset via a buton. Shall I use a 12V zener. I may have 9V zeners too.
If CD4017 is powered at 15V then OpAmp powered at 12V fine for interface.

Not you can drive a 12V CD4017 with a 15V OpAmp as long as you limit current into the
CD4017 protection diode causing latch up. This ap not does a good job of describing the issues.

Regards, Dana.

If CD4017 is powered at 15V then OpAmp powered at 12V fine for interface.

Not you can drive a 12V CD4017 with a 15V OpAmp as long as you limit current into the
CD4017 protection diode causing latch up. This ap not does a good job of describing the issues.

Regards, Dana.
What if both are powered with +/-12V power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back