Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to convert hex to teletext

Status
Not open for further replies.

abicash

Hello

I am a bit foggy with this at the moment.Require some inputs from everyone.

I want to display real time HH:MM:SS on a television display.
This time is already being displayed on 6" 7-Segment displays.The link is through RS485 @ 9600 bauds.
The data is sent as a string starting with (0x7E) 0x06 0x05 0x04 0x03 0x02 0x01 for displaying
65:43:21 on the 7-segment,0x7E being Start-of-string.

What can be ways (simple and cheap) of adding this string on a Television display (4:3 ,& 16:9) ?
Can teletext chips be used?
How can the position & size of display be decided ?

Please throw some light

Awaiting help as usual :)

Last edited:
Do you want to display just the time, or do you want the time superimposed on a video picture? If it's with a picture, is this for a standard def composite NTSC video signal or a high def, component or HDMI signal?

Hi Carl thanks for replying :)

The time is to be superimposed on a standard definition composite PAL video signal.

Please get back if you got some clue

Hello Carl

Thanks for the reply.I have already bumped into this page.Thanks.

Heres another..what do you think?

That's probably the most common and popular one.

As I said, the problem is sourcing the chips and datasheets.

I made my own circuit years back (long before any ready made ones were available), I used an NEC chip, as it was the only one I could source a datasheet for - and I had access to chips (and crystals etc.) out of old Amstrad satellite receivers and Hitachi VCR's.

Hello Nigel
Thanks for getting back.
Would you be able to sell me a ready out-of-the-box solution,if you have one lying around?..or what do you suggest?..
I am not keen on making one.This will be required in an existing project as an add-on..

I would suggest going for the 'blackboxcamera' solution.

My design was going to be manufacturerd and sold through Dontronics as part of the SIMMStick series - but we were unable to source reliable supplies of the chip, and couldn't even get a datasheet for the newer version of it.

Hello Nigel

Sorry for a bit of ignorance...but the 'blackboxcamera' solution has an onboard PIC..is it required to be coded for UART comm?
I will be sending data over UART to this board and that should be displayed on the video terminal,is only what i require.

Hello Nigel

Sorry for a bit of ignorance...but the 'blackboxcamera' solution has an onboard PIC..is it required to be coded for UART comm?
I will be sending data over UART to this board and that should be displayed on the video terminal,is only what i require.

Just what you want then, it takes serial data and displys it on the screen - as far as I can recall there are a number of control codes you can send to produce various settings. I expect it's all explained in the documentation on the site.

Hello and thanks for getting back :)

Yes i saw that,but again there was some discrepancy in the doc i downloaded where they explained that some software code was available for purchase to interface and program an off-board PIC16F628A.
I again saw that they explained the control codes and one particular code

Code:
Ttext	Enters typewriter mode. Text characters entered are displayed immediately on the screen until a return character is entered to exit typewriter mode

which is what i would need..i guess..

So just clearing out the smoke..if i misunerstood something :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back