Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to convert a Adjustable Reg. to auto adjust

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKS

I have found a Usefull LM regulator (LM138) wich will give me 5amps.
the problem is it is adjustable sow it means it doesn´t sees ground??

Is it true that if the input voltage changes on the part, that the output is also changed????

Wich little chip could make it auto adjustable?
An opamp maybe?

could someone draw me up a small sheme?

Tks

TKS said:
I have found a Usefull LM regulator (LM138) wich will give me 5amps.
the problem is it is adjustable sow it means it doesn´t sees ground??

Is it true that if the input voltage changes on the part, that the output is also changed????

If it DID, then it wouldn't be a regulator! - don't worry about it!, it's a variable REGULATOR - the resistors set it's output voltage, regardless of the input voltage (assuming it's within a suitable range).

ok nigel but i thought of a setup where the input voltage is stable..

and this component just took away a given voltage of it.

At least i´m very easy done with the question :D

is it true tha that if i add a BC transistor Npn from the adjust pin after the resistance to ground that i have a enable / disable switch??

Thanxs

TKS said:
ok nigel but i thought of a setup where the input voltage is stable..

and this component just took away a given voltage of it.

At least i´m very easy done with the question :D

is it true tha that if i add a BC transistor Npn from the adjust pin after the resistance to ground that i have a enable / disable switch??

Yes, you can set it to it's lowest possible output (about 0.7V or so?), it was often done for standby mode in TV sets.

TKS said:
Thanxs

Are you going to use the transistor as a digital switch? When the transistor is off the current has no path to ground and the IC acts as a current source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back