Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to convert a 0-24v sqaure wave in to a 0-5v sqaure wave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jet_pack234

Hi,

I have a 24V square wave output from a thermocouple module and need to convert it into a 0-5V sq wave so that I can read it on a pic pin.
What is the best way to do this?
Many thanks

voltage divider to pot it down
IF not good enough then that signal then to drive the GATE of a FET that is pulled upto 5V

The simplest solution would be a resistor and 4V7 Zener.

The resistor is connected between the 24 signal and the PIC input and the Zener from the PIC input to gnd. Anode to gnd. The resistor would need to be about 10k to limit the current but also to provide enough current to bring the voltage up towards 4V7.

All too complicated :lol:

We're talking about a PIC - PIC's are very well designed, sensible devices!. All you need is a single series current limiting resistor from the 24V to the PIC I/O pin - the PIC protection diodes will clip the input to 5V, and the resistor limits the current. It's designed to work in this way!.

As mentioned in my tutorial at , the very bottom paragraph.

Nigel Goodwin said:
All too complicated :lol:

We're talking about a PIC - PIC's are very well designed, sensible devices!. All you need is a single series current limiting resistor from the 24V to the PIC I/O pin - the PIC protection diodes will clip the input to 5V, and the resistor. It's designed to work in this way!.

As mentioned in my tutorial at , the very bottom paragraph.

Yes well that far too sensible. Cant be having that. I am going to petition for PIC's to be scrapped on the basis that they do their job

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back