Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to control stepper motor using pic16f84a ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
akg said:
aoamb83 said:
hi all :)

i need to know how to control stepper motor using pic16f84a

alot of thanx
use PWM for speed control and H-Bridge as driver

:shock: PWM with a dinasour pic :shock: atleast use a 16f628a or a 16f88 and get with the times the 16f84a went pre-historic about 5 years ago but the net still has heaps of projects based on them. For a H-bridge check out the sn754410 from texas instruments and look at a few robotic sites for tips as that chip is used quite a bit in robotic's.

Cheers Bryan :D

akg said:
bryan1 said:
:shock: PWM with a dinasour pic :shock: atleast use a 16f628a or a 16f88 and get with the times the 16f84a went pre-historic about 5 years ago .....
Cheers Bryan :D
:? i didn't meant F84 , but anything with PWM

Cheers Akg :D

Well you don't really need PWM with a stepper, nor an H-bridge, unless the stepper is the less common bi-polar type - for the more common uni-polar type you just need four transistors to drive the coils, or a ULN type chip. The PIC then generates the required step sequence, it's really VERY! easy to do.

well, actually, you can pwm unipolar or bipolar to limit the current and thus be able to drive the stepper at a higher voltage for more torque. The tutorial I linked to (Jones on Stepping Motors) discusses all these things.

philba said:
well, actually, you can pwm unipolar or bipolar to limit the current and thus be able to drive the stepper at a higher voltage for more torque. The tutorial I linked to (Jones on Stepping Motors) discusses all these things.

Or just use series resistors?, as is also shown in numerous tutorials.

Anyway, I didn't say you can't 'use' PWM, only that you don't 'need' PWM.

resistors are an inefficient way to control current in steppers. For battery powered application, it wastes power. For larger steppers it generates heat and higher wattage resistors can be expensive. With a microcontroller, pwm is pretty simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back