Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to connect Transformer Leads ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeem

hello

i need help i have transformer 6 leads i don't know which + and -

check the photo plz

thanks

Attachments

• photo..jpg
    photo..jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 1,700
Transformers are AC devices; there are no positive and Negative leads. You must use rectifier diodes (and a filter capacitor) to create a DC outputs.

What you are asking is what do the wire colors mean? Look up the data sheet from the maker of the transformer.

You have to determine which is the primary and which is the secondary.

Is one of the wires on the primary a safety ground or is the primary tapped? Where is the tap? Center, or near one end of the winding? Use and Ohmmeter to find out.

Is the secondary center-tapped?

What is the VA (Watts) rating?

What is the turns ratio/voltage ratings?

Best way is to Google the part number, or get a data sheet.

The rating appears to be faintly stamped on it.

For 230V the whole of the primary winding should be used, for 110V the centre tap should be connected and the other half of the winding unused.

The secondary is 12V centre tapped.

It looks like you've guessed correctly, but you should test it to make sure: the DC resistance of the primary should be higher than the secondary.

The rating appears to be faintly stamped on it.

For 230V the whole of the primary winding should be used, for 110V the centre tap should be connected and the other half of the winding unused.

The secondary is 12V centre tapped.

It looks like you've guessed correctly, but you should test it to make sure: the DC resistance of the primary should be higher than the secondary.

thanks very much every body and for u hero999

but i want to connect to 220V which wire is primary winding.

here the photo plz check and tell me by wire color

thanks so much hero and all

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
You need a multimeter that measures resistance. The resistance of the secondary winding will be low, maybe 1Ω to 5Ω.

The resistance of the primary winding will be much higher, maybe 200Ω to 500Ω. I have no idea which colour is which. You need to measure the resistance between all three pairs of wires. I think that the primary side is the black-white-yellow side, but I am not sure. You need to check the resistance between black - yellow, and between black - white, and between white - yellow. You then connect the 220 V to the pair that have the highest resistance. It doesn't matter which way round you connect the live and neutral to the primary winding, but it does matter which pair you connect it to.

Then you can measure the output voltage.

Last edited:
Yes, the black and yellow should be the primary which is connected to 220VAC, ignore the middle wire which should be left unconnected.

It's pretty important to get this right as connecting the 12V side to the mains will probably destroy the transformer unless you're lucky and a fuse blows first. Not only that but whatever you have connected to the transformer will be zapped by over 2kV.

Fortunately it's pretty easy to confirm which is which by measuring the resistance as described above. Don't worry about the actual values, the primary will always be higher than the secondary.

hi

thanks i find out the leads and test it on bread board with simple circuit give me DC 12 V

thanks for all

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Only do that after you've measured the resistance of both coils.

jesus how hard is it to tell him!!

The black and yellow are for the 230V winding, the 110V is black and yellow joined with the white.

hook it up and test the voltage!!

jesus how hard is it to tell him!!

The black and yellow are for the 230V winding, the 110V is black and yellow joined with the white.

hook it up and test the voltage!!

I think black and white = 110, cap the yellow, black and yellow = 220, cap the white, check the output, orange to orange for 24vac, if low, white to yellow =220, cap the black.
I fear yellow joined to white will let the smoke out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back