Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to connect PIC16F684 TO mplab debugger

Status
Not open for further replies.

dh_87

hi everyone, i am a student working on my software project. From the MPLAB debugger user guide, it says that 5 pins from the RJ45 port are to be connected to the PIC. Comparing the data sheet of the 16f684 and the MPLAB user guide, this is what i connected:

RJ45 PIC16F684 Function(s)
Pin 1 Pin 4 Vpp/MCLR
Pin 2 Pin 1 Vdd/5V
Pin 3 Pin 14 Vss/GND
Pin 4 Pin 13 RA0
Pin 5 Pin 12 RA1/Vref

additional connections:
-a resistor of 1K ohm is connected between 16F684's pin 1 and its pin 4
-an LED connected in series with a 470 ohm resistor at RC1

I just want the LED in PORTC to light up but the MPLAB program shows that its is unable to enter debug mode and unable to run target. Is there a problem with my connections? Thank you guys very much.

dh_87 said:
hi everyone, i am a student working on my software project. From the MPLAB debugger user guide, it says that 5 pins from the RJ45 port are to be connected to the PIC. Comparing the data sheet of the 16f684 and the MPLAB user guide, this is what i connected:

I guess it's the ICD2 you have? I don't have any experience with that one, but with the ICD2 clone from **broken link removed**
I've built it after reading about it on this forum, and it works like a charm.

I'm also using the 16F684 quite a bit; wonderful little circuit!

RJ45 PIC16F684 Function(s)
Pin 1 Pin 4 Vpp/MCLR
Pin 2 Pin 1 Vdd/5V
Pin 3 Pin 14 Vss/GND
Pin 4 Pin 13 RA0
Pin 5 Pin 12 RA1/Vref

additional connections:
-a resistor of 1K ohm is connected between 16F684's pin 1 and its pin 4
-an LED connected in series with a 470 ohm resistor at RC1

Seems correct for the PIC pins. I have no clue about the RJ45, though.

I just want the LED in PORTC to light up but the MPLAB program shows that its is unable to enter debug mode and unable to run target. Is there a problem with my connections? Thank you guys very much.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you can "in circuit debug" the F684. AFAIK it's not that many PICs that have this possibility. But many (almost all?) can be programmed in circuit. (ICSP)

I've found ICSP to speed up my development considerably, compared to using a PICstart Plus and replacing circuits all the time.
Now I just make a change in the code, press F10 to build the project, press programming, and then bring the PIC out of reset. Guess I should think more, and program less; but that's another discussion... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back