Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to connect icsp to pic??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anurag_Singh

I have ordered this ICSP pic programmer given on the site: http://triindia.co.in/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=93

Can anyone tell me that how can the output pins of this programmer (Vcc, PGD, PGC, MCR, TX, DX, GND) be connected to the pic to program it.
Actually I don't have any idea of ICSP...so plz tell me the connections of this programmer to the pic pins (I have to program PIC 16F628A)

Anurag_Singh said:
I have ordered this ICSP pic programmer given on the site: http://triindia.co.in/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=93

Can anyone tell me that how can the output pins of this programmer (Vcc, PGD, PGC, MCR, TX, DX, GND) be connected to the pic to program it.
Actually I don't have any idea of ICSP...so plz tell me the connections of this programmer to the pic pins (I have to program PIC 16F628A)

It's very simple:

MCR - To MCLR pin on PIC. You need a pullup resistor in the 10K to 33K range from MCLR to VDD (5V on target board)

VCC - 5V to target board VDD. Should be able to supply limited power for target board, but check programmer manual. Has to be connected to it anyway.

GND - Ground - connect to ground of target board

PGD - Connect to PGD pin of target

PGC - Connect to PGC pin of target

Check out my website for some pics of programming cables. You'll most likely have to build your own.

I usually connect my PIC's VDD pin to power via diode and directly to the +5V VCC ICSP line. That way, my ICSP programmer doesn't accidentally power the rest of the circuit while programming. Dunno if this is necessary, but think I read about this somewhere.

why worry about taste before you eat? -- You get a user guide along with the programmer you have ordered, Anurag_Singh. It will be the best, as supplied by the manufacturer.

P16pro40

OY2L said:
Did you not built the P16PRO40 programmer?

I am making the P16PRO40 programmer and it will be ready within couple of days...
But I am already so disappointed with my JDM programmer so I don't want to take any risk... I also have to get my pic programmed within next 10 days by any means.
So I am ordering a programmer to be more sure that my pic will be programmed by the time I need it (I have to submit my college project)...

By the way, is P16PRO40 programmer 100% reliable???

Regards
Anurag

Anurag_Singh said:
I am making the P16PRO40 programmer and it will be ready within couple of days...
But I am already so disappointed with my JDM programmer so I don't want to take any risk... I also have to get my pic programmed within next 10 days by any means.
So I am ordering a programmer to be more sure that my pic will be programmed by the time I need it (I have to submit my college project)...

By the way, is P16PRO40 programmer 100% reliable???

No, but it's not far off, you might come across the occasional PC that it doesn't like, but it's rare.

The JDM though is well known for it's poor reliability, and is probably the poorest of the PIC programmers?.

Anurag_Singh said:

This tutorial might help a bit:
**broken link removed**
Best wish,
Funny N.

p16pro40 not working1!!

Nigel Goodwin said:
No, but it's not far off, you might come across the occasional PC that it doesn't like, but it's rare.

The JDM though is well known for it's poor reliability, and is probably the poorest of the PIC programmers?.

Hello Nigel...
I think I got that occasional PC that u were talking about...I made a p16pro40 programmer and it gave the same result as my JDM programmer(I used your recommended s/w)...

Earlier I got a mail from RUZFACTOR(one of our friend of this site)...He suggested me to buy a pic programmer or to switch to ATMEL programmer as he made 4-5 pic programmers and non of them worked....
I think he was right bcoz my last faith was p16pro40 programmer and it made my mood off...

By the way, the problem with the programmer is that it reads the blank pic but unable to write it at any location containing code other than 3FFF... (same problem was with JDM programmer) and same problem was experienced by RUZFACTOR...
:confused:

Last edited:
0x3FFF is what a completely blank 16F series PIC reads, and what you get if the PIC isn't getting switched to programming mode - the most common reason (by FAR!!) is too little voltage on the MCLR pin, or too noisy a voltage.

If you used my software it has a manual toggle mode, so you can manually toggle the output pins and measure the voltages.

Did one of the red LED's light up when you try to programm it?
Are you using a laptop or desktop?

OY2L said:
Did one of the red LED's light up when you try to programm it?
Are you using a laptop or desktop?

I am using an old desktop...and all the leds light up (2 continuously and one while STARTING to program) but the same error: PROGRAMMING FAILED

When the programmer is powered up and connected to the LPT port only the green LED should light up continuously one of the red light up or flashing when starting to program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back