Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to connect a trimmer capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

macnl

i am trying to connect a trimmer capacitor on breadboard. but the trimmer has three pins. I know that two of the pins are connected together. does that mean I can choose one of the two connected pins as one plate of the capacitor and left the other pin as floating?
the trimmer looks like this:
**broken link removed**

Say you number the pins so that the nearest (on the picture) is pin 2, the rightmost pin is number 1 and the most further is 3.

The capasitance between 2 (middle pin) and 3 will increase when you screw it clockwise. I think the capasitance between 1 and 3 will be constant.

i am trying to connect a trimmer capacitor on breadboard. but the trimmer has three pins. I know that two of the pins are connected together. does that mean I can choose one of the two connected pins as one plate of the capacitor and left the other pin as floating?
the trimmer looks like this:
**broken link removed**

Yes to your question.

The trimmer has a continous rotation, watch the trimmer vanes as you adjust the capacitance
when using a 'non metallic' trimming tool.

Old plastic knitting needles filed down to a blade, make a cheap tool.

Last edited:
It has three pins for better mechanical stability. Since it is adjustable it could twist lose on a PCB having just two pins.

I followed the links from the properties of the picture you posted and found these datasheets:
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
They clearly show the pin connections for two different size trimmers.

I haven't tried inserting a trimmer on to a breadboard. I usually use extra wires with the legs to easily insert into the breadboard.

A breadboad has more capacitance between all its connections than the trimmer capacitor.
The trimmer capacitor is used in high frequency RF circuits where a breadbard doesn't work and should not be used. Use a pcb.

ıf you couldn t make it worked on the breadbord why you are thinking rf don t works on the breadboard. ı made ıt and ıt works try to make a simple fm transmitter on the breadbord (with a patiance) you will see soon either work or not.

ıf you couldn t make it worked on the breadbord why you are thinking rf don t works on the breadboard. ı made ıt and ıt works try to make a simple fm transmitter on the breadbord (with a patiance) you will see soon either work or not.

Why can't you type in proper English? And you just revive a 1-year old thread!!!

no

no, english isn't my mother tongue but also you may write something wrong I think it is important to get the message of the conversation. Also I am greatful for your attention to your language I'm sorry for my mistakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back