Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to connect a temperature PID controller with an external relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

oliveros

Hi group,

I need to control a 12V 100W peltier, with a CAL3300 temperature controler (like the shown in **broken link removed**),
**broken link removed**
The internal relays from the CAL3300 supports only 2A, so I want to connect an external solid state relay (10A/28VDC DC 5V) the relay have 5 connectors, so could anybody teach me how to connect this relay with the CAL3300?.

In this link you can find a picture with an scheme shown in the CAL3300 and a picture of the relays.

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

It depends on the +5vdc input current requirement for the solid state relay. It it requires only 15ma or less you can wire the relay control input pins to pins 3 & 4 of the controller. You may have to enable the SSR drive output in the controller's setup and that information should be in the controller's documentation.

Lefty

Last edited:
dear Leftyretro., thanks for your answer.

I am not sure abour the current requirements of the relay, do you know where I could find this information?. Concernig to the relay wiring, it have 5 connectors, I do not know who are the control inputs.

Thanks for your support!

It depends on the +5vdc input current requirement for the solid state relay. It it requires only 15ma or less you can wire the relay control input pins to pins 3 & 4 of the controller. You may have to enable the SSR drive output in the controller's setup and that information should be in the controller's documentation.

Lefty

dear Leftyretro., thanks for your answer.

I am not sure abour the current requirements of the relay, do you know where I could find this information?. Concernig to the relay wiring, it have 5 connectors, I do not know who are the control inputs.

Thanks for your support!

Well you are going to have to search for the data sheet for the solid state relay, it will have the contact information and coil drive requirements.

Lefty

This is not a solid state relay, it's a standard electromechanical SPDT relay.
https://www.techman-usa.com/info/118.pdf Relay pin layout: third row down on the right.

But, that should work fine for you.

Wiring looking at the bottom of the relay (as shown on 118.pdf):
+5v power supply to pin-6 on the controller.
Left end of the relay coil to pin 5 on the controller.
Right end of the relay coil to 5v power supply common.
Peltier power supply (+) to bottom-center pin on the relay.
Peltier cell (+) lead to upper-left pin on the relay.
Peltier cell (-) lead to Peltier power supply common.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back