Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to choose the right Freewheel diode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jony130

How I can choose the correct freewheeling diode for PWM control 25A DC Motor.
How do you choose the current rating of a diode.

Attachments

• mosfet.gif
    mosfet.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 670
Last edited:
How I can choose the correct freewheeling diode for PWM control 25A DC Motor.
How do you choose the current rating of a diode.

If you are switching the motor On/Off, the current flowing in the motor at the moment you switch OFF will be the required Diode current peak rating.

For a 25A motor current, you use a diode with a peak 25A rating.

Do you mean this peak current form dataset Peak forward surge current, 8.3ms single
half sine-wave superimposed on rated load
?

I would select a diode with a 25A average rated load current.

You really need to know more about it than your spec.. Is 25 amps maximum motor current? Motor inductance. For example a motor with a few microhenries will be different than one with millihenries. Then PWM frequency.

look at Silicon Carbide diodes. they have ZERO reverse recovery time, so the PWM frequency isn't a big factor.

there's a selection chart here: **broken link removed**

Another type of fast switching diode is a Schottky and they are likely cheaper than Silicon Carbide devices.

that's only a 5A device. i thought you were looking for a 25A device.

that's a SINGLE PULSE rating, not a repetitive rating. that's like saying a speaker has the capability of two feet of cone excursion, ONCE.... use the right tool for the right job. if the diode fails, you will be driving a direct short with the transistor, and it won't last more than a few milliseconds either.

How about somewhere in the middle? Say 10 amps with a heatsink.

Attachments

• flyback.PNG
    flyback.PNG
    77.1 KB · Views: 351
i guess that really depends on the mosfet used..... the lower the Rds-on, the higher the diode current.

I think the maximum diode current occurs at a 50% duty cycle and high motor inductance. So a 25 amp motor will store 12.5 amps. Since the diode will see the same current during fly-back it will see 12.5 amps but only for 50% of the time or 6.25 amps average. Higher duty cycle will produce diode peak currents up to 25 amps but for only a very short part of the PWM cycle. There may be some reverse recovery time currents but with a schottky diode they can probably be ignored for this discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back