Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to check IGBT gate signal safely with oscilloscope ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGAmodzX

Hi everybody.

I am troublshooting an inverting welder that uses IGBTs as power components.

I usually remove IGBTs and check the signal across the gate and source pcb through holes.
But this devices uses 6 IGBTs and they are soldered in very precise way so that its hard to get them back exactly how they were positioned after desoldering them .

So my question is : can i check the gate signal directly on the soldered IGBT while the device is on ?

I don't see why not? Make sure the scope is properly grounded to the ground of whatever you are measuring. Depending on what you expect to see you may want to use a 10:1 probe to reduce any loading effect.

Ron

Thanks. I have grounded the scope and on the inverter board i have shorted the two thermictance connectors as acway to mimicknthe original set up.

But the probleme is i cant read the signals.

I will upload the pcb very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back