Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to check elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbravo

Hello Friends,

I am new in the world of electronic circuits. I have a power supply damaged and I would like to repair it my-self.

How do I know what element is working fine or not?

I have a multimeter and an iron solder...

Thanks adn I hope it won't bother aniyone...

Oh gosh, where do we begin with this one?!!!:confused:

How well do you know how to use your multimeter, is my first question? If you're not adept at using that tool, it's far better to take the power supply to a technician and pay to have the job done properly. And by the way, electronic equipment is technical in nature. It operates within a set of specifications or parameters. It would be most beneficial for you to provide us with some detailed information to diagnose from rather than simply stating that it's broken and that you have a solder pencil and a test meter!:confused: Like is it a SMPS, a simple xformer/rectifier/filter type, a regulated supply?
1. Start by checking any fuses for continuity.
2. Assure the power cord is passing electricity from the wall outlet
3. Check the secondary windings of the main transformer for voltage present (if there is a xformer)

Look for burn marks too, or damaged components. I think one of the most common failure points on a power supply is a capacitor.

What exactally happens? Will it not turn on at all?

Check as already suggested,

Power lead, Fuses (if any),Transformer primary, secondary ,then rectifier, Capacitor(s) and regulating device.
Smell and visual of discoloured parts give you a hint as well if anything has fried up.
Poor soldering, and lifted tracks,
Secodary terminals.

But start from source and go systematically to the load end.

Don't provide anymore info. until we are given more to go on from dbravo. This is like telling the doctor that you are sick without explaining any of the symptoms for him to diagnose from.

Patient: I don't feel good, Doc.
Doctor: Can you tell me anything specific on what's wrong?
Patient: I just don't feel good.
Doctor: I understand that, but I need to know more specifically what symptoms you are experiencing.
Patient: I just told you that I don't feel good. Now what are you gonna do about it?
Doctor: Put your shirt back on son and go wait in the lobby. Nurse, send in the next patient!
:rolleyes: :p :rolleyes: :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back