Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to Check Current on enclosed Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

newer2012

Hi there,

I have an closed power supply just has the input, output, and return connector. I don't have access to circuit card.

Can someone please tell me how to check the Current on enclosed Power Supply?

Thanks.

What markings/labels are there?
What is the 'return' connector for?
What gadget is the supply intended to power?
We need some CLUES :)

It is an enclosed power supply.
The connector labels indicated as input, output and output return.
Input label as 110VAC and output is +24VDC and output return as 24RTN.

What is the '24RTN' connector for? Is it just the negative terminal for the 24V?
What gadget (toy? audio? starter-motor? ....) is the supply intended to power?
What are the approximate dimensions/weight?

Depends on WHICH AMPS You want to check?

Put an Amp-Meter In Series with either the Input Line or the Output DC going to a Load.

...Can someone please tell me how to check the Current on enclosed Power Supply? ...
Do you want to find out what is the maximum current that the supply can deliver without overheating?

Do you want to find out what is the maximum current that the supply can deliver without the voltage sagging, or ripple appearing on the output?

Do you want to find out if the power supply will run a particular load?

For chemelec - I knew to check the current with open circuitry but since this is enclosed unit which only has 3 terminals as I decribed below. I'm quite to understand when you said, "Put an Amp-Meter In Series with either the Input Line ...." You meant the + and - lead of Amp-Meter on the +24VDC terminal? Pls expalin details!

For MikeMl - Just wanted to know how to check current when P/S is turned ON.

For chemelec - I knew to check the current with open circuitry but since this is enclosed unit which only has 3 terminals as I decribed below. I'm quite to understand when you said, "Put an Amp-Meter In Series with either the Input Line ...." You meant the + and - lead of Amp-Meter on the +24VDC terminal? Pls expalin details!

For MikeMl - Just wanted to know how to check current when P/S is turned ON.

I Assume the Input is actually 2 Terminals?
And the Output is also 2 terminals, 24V & 24RTN?

If so, Than:
+ of a DC Ampmeter goes to 24V terminal.
- of the DC Ampmeter goes to + of Load
And the - of Load goes to 24RTN

how to check current when P/S is turned ON.
Do you mean the instantaneous current drawn from the mains at the instant of switch-on? Or the continuous mains current after switch-on when the supply is powering a load? Or the load current at the instant of switch-on? Or.......?

Thanks, Chemelec. BTW, this output has 50A. I have 2 Electronic Loads, each has 30A (max). What is the best way of connection, series or parallel?

Thanks, Chemelec. BTW, this output has 50A. I have 2 Electronic Loads, each has 30A (max). What is the best way of connection, series or parallel?

If the loads are 24 VDC loads being supplied by a 24 VDC supply the loads need to be placed in parallel. Additionally if the supply is a 50 Amp maximum supply and each load can draw as much as 30 Amps you cannot supply both loads at their maximum which would be a combined 60 Amp load.

If you want to measure (monitor) the load current you can use either a current shunt method or a hall effect sensor method.

Ron

If Both those loads are Connected Parallel to draw 60 Amps, It could OVERLOAD your supply and cause damage.
Or are they Adjustable Current Loads?

In Series, they will draw MUCH Less than 30 Amps.

If you shop around a bit, you may find a dmm with a clamp on for AC current as well as DC. They are infinitely easier to use than a conventional intrusive meter, especially when you're dealing with numerous (+'s) and (-'s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back