Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to change direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

electroRF

Hi,

I'd really appreciate getting your inputs, I've met (online) people here who are so experienced and I'd love hearing what you think.

I'm 29, have been working in Hitech for the last 8 years, and am feeling it's like a continuous chase - there are many rewards, many satisfactions, but it takes lots of dedication.

I wish to quit and take one-way ticket, travel, explore different lifestyles and meet different people.

It's hard to turn your thoughts upside down like that, since everything I did for the last 10 years (University, work) led me to where I am now, an experienced and appreciated SW developer.

What do you think of taking such step?

Thank you guys, I appreciate your opinions.

I have always been in electronics... But When I first started out, I was an auto electrician with VW / AUDI.. Electronics was merely a hobby..

At a very early age I dropped automobiles and went back to school and did a degree in electronics... It felt like an upheaval, but ultimately the right choice... The career I have now, I wouldn't want to change... So in my case, quitting one career and pursuing another, worked out very nice...

Only you can answer your worries!! When I ventured out on my own ( about 10 years ago ) It was virtually the same... Another upheaval!! This time a wife to convince!!!! But the rewards slowly came....

All I can say is... If it's what you want to do... Go for it.. ( Just don't burn your bridges, in case you make a mistake )

In general I would answer as Ian did, "do as you feel is right, and only you can know what is best".

However, if I'm reading your words correctly, I have to say, "be more cautious". You are not talking about a new career path, but instead are searching for "greener grass" and varied experience. That's all great, if all things are equal, but I would say that all things are not equal in this crazy world.

I wish to quit and take one-way ticket, travel, explore different lifestyles and meet different people.
If I understand that right, you have a sabbatical impasse in mind? Turismo, não é? Or just looking for a different activity? In any case, ensure to have a minimal amount of money available to cater for immediate expenses.

Wish good luck in any case.

Join the Navy. Worked for me...
As per personal experience, do not let it last too long.

Just two examples at random:

After 34 days at the anchor at two outer roads in Lybia, spending maybe just 5 days in two ports, working

At sea for 52 days after leaving La Plata until reaching Japan, what means crossing the Magellan Strait and passing more or less close to one single vessel in the middle of the Pacific until entering the Kii Suido...!

I always wondered how many things common "shore people" could do in the same time period. Myself, on board, exercising self control and reading (a LOT). :(

If you just wanted it very much ,and it is good for you ,just do it !Anyone wants to chase something but has no courage ,it is hard to success.Follow your heart and prepare eveything you need .

Unless you have made enough money to retire, you may lose all you have gained.

I went on vacation to Montauk Long Island and had a great time shark fishing and partying. I thought this is a great place, so I put my house up for sale, in a place that I didn't like and moved to Montauk. I found out that having to earn a living in a place is not the same as vacationing there. It worked out in the long run but I had to start my career over again. In the next 20 years, I seldom went fishing and only once more for sharks.

Think about it long and hard before giving up all you have achieved.

Do what gives you the most satisfaction , appreciated by others, but don't take for granted the conveniences you give up. To decide make a list of all benefits and negatives and assign weight numbers 1-10 then estimate each item 1-10 than add up the totals and re-adjust if nec. Then listen to your passions and decide if you are more motivated to move away from pain or towards pleasure.:) Nothing is easy except giving up.

Last edited:
To decide make a list of all benefits and negatives and assign weight numbers 1-10 then estimate each item 1-10 than add up the totals and re-adjust if nec. Then listen to your passions and decide if you are more motivated to move away from pain or towards pleasure.:) Nothing is easy except giving up.

Thus Conscience does make Cowards of us all,
And thus the Native hue of Resolution
Is sicklied o'er, with the pale cast of Thought,
And enterprises of great pitch and moment,
With this regard their Currents turn awry,
And lose the name of Action.

If you are doing university work, do they have a slow season when you could take a long vacation? Even without pay? After intense playing for a month, you may welcome going back to work to recuperate.

Thus Conscience does make Cowards of us all,
And thus the Native hue of Resolution
Is sicklied o'er, with the pale cast of Thought,
And enterprises of great pitch and moment,
With this regard their Currents turn awry,
And lose the name of Action.
Perhaps Hamlet shouldn't meddle with his Mother's passion even if something is rotten...in the state of Denmark and concern himself only.

Follow your passions and expect they may be short term and adapt. This was Darwin's secret to survival. Adaptation, not just genetic procreation and bifurcation of some species with survival of the fittest. As we learn, passions of procreation are short term and repeat with adaptation and often choosing a better environment.

But for my career, my passion remains in Electronics in my retirement with a suitable tolerant mate.

Hi electroRF,
I need to encourage you however I am sharing my sad thoughts, faced till the time of life. Sometime I need to take my life comparatively (than others'). Like- you born in Portugal and working around technology field, maybe you love it too. I am from Nepal and my dream was to work in the field of technology, exploration etc, probably same as your. Maybe people around 20 to 40 never want to be limited in a certain boundaries. He (she?) want to see the adventure world (maybe).

Now (unfortunately) I am a teacher of Nepali language and I teach language to children. I never can suppress my hobby, so being engage with engineer community, here in ETO and I feel so nice being here. For me, life is compromise (tradeoff). Sure there in Portugal, more opportunities are lying, than my beginning country. Goodluck electroRF!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back