Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to change between 2 voltages using software

Status
Not open for further replies.

M@ver!ck

Hi,
I have to design an EPROM programmer for 2716. But the EPROM chip requires a VPP input of 25V when being programmed and a VPP input of 5V when being read.I have to change these voltages alternately using software as I have to first check if the address is empty and then program it. I'm allowed to use any device .

plz suggest.....:)

You would normally have a 5 V supply with a diode in series, and then a switch turn the 25 V on and off. The diode will stop the 25 V from conflicting with the 5 V supply when the 25 V is turned on.

There are lots of high-side switches you can use for 25 V. A circuit with a couple of transistors and a few resistors will do it. Something like this:-http://deneb.homedns.org/things/?p=89

Now the instructor wants it 2 be done using Software controlled Multi-pole switches...........how??? Plz suggest....

Last edited:
But can relays operate at voltages of 5V and 25V when my signal is from pin of 8255.......how will I generate Triggering voltage.

The instructor said that I shud use software controlled multi switches for this application ....she also told me to mention the specific name of the switch I used.....

The 5V or 25V is only the voltage for the contacts, so makes no difference at all. The relays themselves should probably have 5V coils, and be fed from a transistor driver in the standard way.

Now the instructor wants it 2 be done using Software controlled Multi-pole switches
Ask your instructor "Why?". Multiple switches are unnecessary. A single-pole switch will suffice.

She said "multi-switch" .I'm not sure if she meant multi-pole or multi-way..........I thought of using a multiplexer as voltage selector....But I guess mux won't be able to support 25V.......If I use a step down transformer to scale down both the inputs by 5 and then at the output use a step up transformer to scale it up by 5 ,wud it work............I wud be using 3 transformers in my circuit.......wudn't dat make it too heavy..???

She said "multi-switch" .I'm not sure if she meant multi-pole or multi-way..........I thought of using a multiplexer as voltage selector....But I guess mux won't be able to support 25V.......If I use a step down transformer to scale down both the inputs by 5 and then at the output use a step up transformer to scale it up by 5 ,wud it work............I wud be using 3 transformers in my circuit.......wudn't dat make it too heavy..???

Transformers work on AC not DC, and you're making a very simple and trivial circuit complicated.

you're making a very simple and trivial circuit complicated.
I think that's down to the instructor, not the OP :). It's certainly going to be a challenge to use software-controlled switching if transistors aren't allowed (presumably including any within dedicated switching ICs) ! I'd be interested to hear how the instructor would achieve this task.

I think that's down to the instructor, not the OP :). It's certainly going to be a challenge to use software-controlled switching if transistors aren't allowed (presumably including any within dedicated switching ICs) ! I'd be interested to hear how the instructor would achieve this task.

I suspect it's down to the OP misunderstanding the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back