Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to calculate the area of any irregular shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

aamir1

Hi guyz!! actually i am making a sensor based project my goal is to calculate the area of any shape providedd to the machine........which sensor can i use for this project and how much will it cost give any ideas please.......

One option is image processing using a webcam and a PC. Sensor (webcam) can be obtained for <$10.

Go with what dougy said.
Though, could you explain a little about this? is it an existing machine that has some function? if so what?
Or is this a completely new machine you are designing?

If it is going to be pages or photos, you can calculate it by getting a camera set at a fixed distance from the object to be scanned.
Let it take a picture and based on the picture it takes it determines the area. you need some way of outlining the area you want to calculate though.

For example, you can calibrate the machine by setting a piece of paper with known area onto it. and the pixel count will correspond to the area.
Use different known sizes ofcourse, and maybe the ratio of area to pixels will be the same. If it is, or roughly the same, you got yourself an area scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back