Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to calculate filter order from graph?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syafiq

Hi

How do I calculate the filter order from a graph according to the formula "log(f/fc)" ? My fc is 20kHz, but I am unsure of what "f" represents. Does it represent the input frequency? Thanks!

Fc is the Filter CutOff frequency.

f is the independent frequency at which you wish to evaluate the filter response.

ie If f=10Fc, you are talking about a frequency one decade above the cutoff freq, which if it is -40db down from the response at Fc, means you have a second order filter.

Last edited:
Fc is the Filter CutOff frequency.

f is the independent frequency at which you wish to evaluate the filter response.

ie If f=10Fc, you are talking about a frequency one decade above the cutoff freq, which if it is -20db down from the response at Fc, means you have a second order filter.
Let's say my Fc = 20kHz, and I am doing a 3rd order filter. With this, how do I find my actual "db/decade" based on my graph? I understand ideally a 3rd order filter will be -60db/decade, however I would like to make a comparison whether I actually achieved that value.

filter.jpg

If you measure the slope of the roll-off, once the roll-off is flat (log-log scale), then the dB/octave or db/decade will tell you the filter order. Each added filter order generates an additional roll-off of 6dB/octave or 20dB/decade of frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back