How to calculate filter order from graph?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syafiq

Hi

How do I calculate the filter order from a graph according to the formula "log(f/fc)" ? My fc is 20kHz, but I am unsure of what "f" represents. Does it represent the input frequency? Thanks!

Fc is the Filter CutOff frequency.

f is the independent frequency at which you wish to evaluate the filter response.

ie If f=10Fc, you are talking about a frequency one decade above the cutoff freq, which if it is -40db down from the response at Fc, means you have a second order filter.

Last edited:
Let's say my Fc = 20kHz, and I am doing a 3rd order filter. With this, how do I find my actual "db/decade" based on my graph? I understand ideally a 3rd order filter will be -60db/decade, however I would like to make a comparison whether I actually achieved that value.

If you measure the slope of the roll-off, once the roll-off is flat (log-log scale), then the dB/octave or db/decade will tell you the filter order. Each added filter order generates an additional roll-off of 6dB/octave or 20dB/decade of frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…