Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to calculate % brightness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoulFire!

Hi!

I have to dim 60W ac lamps
using a triac to 70% brightness.

I have absolutely no clue how
to go about setting up a circuit
for this. I get thrown off when i
read 70% brightness and not
70% power!

Anyone . . .?

Hi!

I have to dim 60W ac lamps
using a triac to 70% brightness.

I have absolutely no clue how
to go about setting up a circuit
for this. I get thrown off when i
read 70% brightness and not
70% power!

Anyone . . .?
Brightness for incandescents is proportional to the 3.5 power of voltage, probably RMS voltage, so you need a chart of RMS voltage vs. conduction angle.

Various lamps produce different outputs in either lux, lumens or ft. candles depending on their design and materials. 60watts of power to illuminate a flourescent yields differently than halogen or tungsten lamps. You need to measure the relative brightness, so ....

Borrow a photographer's light meter and measure the foot candles when the lamp has full power applied to it. Note the distance in inches, feet, or whetever that you held the meter to the lamp since this is your "constant" value. Now calculate what 70% of that "full brilliance" reading would be - for example:
100 lumens at full power applied = 100% of lamp's rated output
70 lumens reading on the meter = 70% of lamp's rated output

Make sure you take measurements at the same distance to the lamp(s) since you'll have light fall-off over distance which will err your readings. The principle is the same regardless if you are measuring in lumens or ft. candles. When the meter indicates 70% of the measured full output of the lamp, you can then measure current draw and such to see how it compares to that at 100% operation.

If a photographer's calibrated meter isn't available, you can whip up a circuit quickly using a photocell, a meter and a few other support components.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back