Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to build a LED screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_Nichols

I want to build a screen of about 1 meter long x 1 meter height
1355931162_466110118_3-alquiler-de-pantallas-LED-Otros-Servicios.jpg

I know there are leds that can emit millions of colour combining red, blue and green. Where to buy them and how they can be programmed to show a specific colour?

The best way to understand how an LED makes different colors is to go to the PAINT program in Windows. Go to the 'edit colors' tab. Click on the different colors they have on the pallete and look at the combination numbers for Red Green Blue (note that white is max red, max green, and max blue). The higher the number, the more of the color added. Most LED controllers use PWM to control the amount of average current an LED receives, since the simple on/off is the easiest way to control digitally, and you vary the on/off ratio to increase or decrease the average current.

If the LEDs are spaced at 1cm intervals you will need 10 thousand per sq mtr. You will also need a way of addressing 100 rows and 100 columns.
That's a lot of soldering! Good luck.

Thanks for all the answers.
Speaking with a friend, he said to me that if I want to modulate the colours of the rgb led I will need these components:
feje.png

So I need to know the components that are shown in this picture. If I'm right they are:
1. 5050 rgb Led
2. 3 resistors (unknown)
3. Chip (unknown)
4. Another unknown component (yellow/orange one)

Also, it can be useful to know the schematic.

You could do this with a small surface mount PIC, program it to provide PWM.

But I can't understand why you want to, the first product you mentioned, WS2812b, did all the hard work for you. All you need to do is provide it with serial data. An arduino could do this for you.

Why are you trying to re-invent the wheel?

WS2801 is a similar SPI device with a seperate chip. You can hook it up to a raspberry pi, a serial or parallel port on a computer, a digispark, littlewire, and arduino - pretty much anything capable of digitally writing to two wires. The WS2801 runs it's PWM off an internal clock, so you can set it and forget it - they'll hold their colour without needing your program to be interrupted thousands of times every second.

The WS2811/WS2812/WS2812B is really neat! The WS2811 is a chip, like the ws2801, but instead of SPI it uses a purely timing-based serial protocol. They can be driven by an arduino or digispark running at 8 or 16 megahertz, they hold their colour (set and forget) just like the ws2801, and are basically the same, but you only need a single data wire instead of two, making them very appealing for use with digispark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back