Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to build a better Big Ear listening device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

I posted this once and several people said, there is a better way to build this. OK, what is the better way?????

I like ICs they are small and require a minumum of parts. I want it to be portable and run on a battery.

Here is my circuit. I have two LM386 ICs connected together. Each has an amplification of 200 connected like this. A 10K volume control is needed to keep stage 1 from over driving stage 2 it can be turned up to about 6.5K before it over drives stage 2 and it has to be turned up to about 5K to get any output from stage 2. An 8" speaker is used as the pick up I experemented with every microphone I could find 32 years ago none of them worked as good as this. I can hear people talking so far away I can not even see them. I use to get in the car and drive around looking for them it took a little experementing vectoring the sound but I could usually find them 1/4 mile away. I could listen to people I could see like people in the yard 1 block up the street and hear them fine. I could listen in on friends and relatives and have all kinds of fun. I tried amplification of 20 on the first stage but it did not work very well.

Here is my circuit see if you can improve on it.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Your flaw is in the input device. Yours isn't very directional and will tend toward better low-frequency response. Your end result will be ampifying every sound around you and nothing from afar. One scheme is to use a unidirectional mic pointed into a parabolic dish. Another is to place a mic at the end of a set of resonant tubes -- e.g., 1/4" diameter aluminum tubing cut in a series of lengths from about 4 inches on up to around 36 or 48 inches, graduating in 1/2-inch steps and gathered into a quasi-cylinder. The "Shotgun Sound Snooper" in Popular Electronics magazine in the 1960s comes to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back