Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to bend IC leads

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkshima

Fresh ICs have leads that are bent at an angle that makes its impossible to insert in a IC base or PCB.

One needs to bend them together to be able to use them. I have done it several times using my hands or forceps. But I am wondering if there is any standard or atleast recommended way to bend these.

Thanks in advance,

I just push each side against a flat surface until it looks about right. There are tools made for this purpose, but really not needed.

I just push each side against a flat surface until it looks about right. There are tools made for this purpose, but really not needed.

Yup. I just press them lightly against the tabletop on one side, flip, and do the other side.

I guess if I was trying to optimize the firmness of the seating, I would skip that step, and instead insert one side of the IC into the socket very slightly, then press the legs on the other side with a flat object until I could get them into the socket holes. Once the IC was square to the socket I'd press it carefully into place. The only reason I'd do this instead of deforming the legs outright (e.g. shaping them by pressing against a tabletop) is so that the legs would have more of a tendency to spring out against the contacts in the socket, hopefully holding it in place more firmly.

Note that I almost always do the tabletop-bending thing, and I have never had a problem with an IC falling out of a socket. And I'm no engineer so I am not sure if the extra measures above would even be worth the effort. :)

Torben

I just push each side against a flat surface until it looks about right. needed.

Yup. I just press them lightly against the tabletop on one side, flip, and do the other side.
Torben

That requires quite a lot of force to be applied to the IC. especially the big ones. Doesnt that raise the risk too much. Its too hard to be gentle with this method.

What do the tools look like ? any names I can search for ?

That requires quite a lot of force to be applied to the IC. especially the big ones. Doesnt that raise the risk too much. Its too hard to be gentle with this method.

Hi!

Please don't mistake me--I certainly don't advocate this method for production. :) It just seems to work for me as a hobbyist, and with the ICs I've used, it seems that the legs tend to break off before any internal damage is caused in the IC.

Torben

Actually the force needed is minimal and requires a subtle push. too much force and your leads go to far. The IC insertions tools are somewhat expensive and really not worth it. Here is a link to the type of tool I am talking about.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
The tool that aligns DIP pins is quite simple. It is just a fixed block that sets the distance between rows of pins. On each side of it another block that pushes the pins against the first.

You could fake it with 3 blocks. The center one would have to be the right width. Press the chip onto the first block and hold in place. Then press the other two block onto the pin to align them.

EDIT: This is one of the tools that you can do without. But once you have it you will find yourself using it because it does a good job and is quick, easy.

Last edited:
Yeah I dont intend to buy the tool myself either. Was just curious to know whats the right way. Thanks for the link Mike.

Now I am curious why the IC manufacturers produce them in a shape that doesnt fit IC bases/PCBs as such. The datasheet specifies the angles and all very accurately so they must be having a good reason I guess.

Yeah I dont intend to buy the tool myself either. Was just curious to know whats the right way. Thanks for the link Mike.

Now I am curious why the IC manufacturers produce them in a shape that doesnt fit IC bases/PCBs as such. The datasheet specifies the angles and all very accurately so they must be having a good reason I guess.

They are in league with the IC insertion tool company. lol ;)

They are in league with the IC insertion tool company. lol ;)

That qualifies as a good reason :D.
It also gives me reason to beleive someone holds a patent to the 'tabletop method'. Lets hide and pray till someone sues us for infringing it.

I am guessing:

If the pins were correctly spaced insertion machines would have a difficult time holding on to the parts. By making them wider there will be spring pressure between the pin and the machine during insertion.

One thing to be aware of with the table top method is the possibility of ESD damge to the part if it's a sensitive part. (Small, high speed MOS devices are the most sensitive). Wood is probably ok but certain types of plastic can carry a lot of static charge.

There is a useful tool called "Pin-Ausrichter".

It's usable for standard IC with pins rows spaced 7.62mm and double spaced rows of 15.24mm spacing.

It is very helpful if you grab an IC out of the junkbox and want to reuse it. The pins are also out of alignment after pulling an IC off the socket sometimes.

Normally those pins are bent in any direction and bending them on a table top won't take care of those bent inside.

To treat such an IC just bend all pins outside at only approaximate angles. Then insert into the Pin-Ausrichter and press the outer grip firmly. All pins will be more or less angled 90 degress depending on the pressure you apply.

The tool is available at https://www.conrad.de. Order number is 168203-62, priced EURO 6.10 (including sales tax)

Here is a picture

Boncuk

Attachments

• PIN-AUSRICHTER.jpg
    PIN-AUSRICHTER.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 539
That is the same tool I have. It aligns the pins in a row but does not adjust the spacing between adjacent pins. Still very handy to have. You can easily live without one but it is a useful tool.

Last edited:
Yep, that looks like a lot more fun than the needle-nose-pliers-and-swearing method I usually use when the pins are really bent up. :)

Torben

Last edited:
Yep, that looks like a lot more fun than the needle-nose-pliers-and-swearing method I usually use when the pins are really bent up. :)Torben

Use this tool in combination with an IC-inserter. That way you won't have to bend the pins at a 90 degree angle (little pressure only), use the IC-inserter and "plug" the IC into the socket.

The tension will hold an IC even under high g-loads.

Hans

I once used a bench wise to do the trick :D
I never did it again because it 'felt' like being cruel to electronics :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back