Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to attach cooler to chip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arhi

Hi,

struggling for some time where to place this question so here is as good as place as any...

To get to the point, I want to attach a metal (aluminum or copper) cooler to the chip but there are no brackets, no mounting points etc.

For this type of work earlier I used to use some termal paste adhesive that I got with some memory coolers but the stock is gone and in this "3rd world country" local stores do not have the paste (or donno how to call it).

I see only 2 solutions to my problem:
1. You guys tell me the proper English term for the paste (thermal glue or something) and point me to the online shop where I can order some (or I'll google the shop myself when I get the actual name of the product I'm looking for)

2. I heard that I can "make" the paste by mixing some thermal paste (normal thermal paste used for CPU's, for e.g. as5 http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm ) and 2 component glue. I have not tried this (I heard it should work) so I would like to know if it actually work before I try (as I need to attach a new cooler to the gw cpu - and would not like for that cpu to overheat).

thanks in advance

What is the shape of the chip? Does it have a metal tab so it can be bolted to a heatsink ?

What is the shape of the heatsink?
Does it have many fins?

@glyph

Thanks. This looks like what I need.

@audioguru

Approx size is 4x4cm, the chip is a via i386 compatible CPU, no metal tabs, no place on the board where I can drill holes to attach some "pressure wires" to hold the heatsink, the cpu is afaic soldered directly to the board. The heatsink I want to attach is 4x4x4cm, there was heatsink on that cpu that was 4x4x1cm with a fan, and I replaced that fan 10-15 times (heat + dust kill it) so now I want to put there bigger heatsink that can be fanless.

The previous heatsink was also "glued" to the CPU

My 486-66 didn't have a heatsink.
My 486-100 was surface mount on a daughter board with a 3.3V regulator so it plugged into where the old 486 was. It also didn't have a heatsink.

I think a slow 386 processor needs a heater so it can stay warm.

audioguru said:
I think a slow 386 processor needs a heater so it can stay warm.

it is VIA i386 "compatible" ... not 80386 intel cpu (that does not need heatsink) ... This one does need a heatsink ...

Code:
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : CentaurHauls
cpu family      : 6
model           : 7
model name      : VIA Samuel 2
stepping        : 3
cpu MHz         : 798.974
cache size      : 64 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu de tsc msr cx8 mtrr pge mmx 3dnow
bogomips        : 1592.52

An alternative to consider is Loctite 384 adhesive, part number 21087. That version is thermally but not electrically conductive. It sets hard, so is considered non-repairable. Loctite makes other versions that are electrically conductive and/or are repairable/removable.

Loctite was bought by Henkel several years ago, so it may now be more readily available worldwide. John

jpanhalt said:
An alternative to consider is Loctite 384 adhesive, part number 21087. That version is thermally but not electrically conductive. It sets hard, so is considered non-repairable. Loctite makes other versions that are electrically conductive and/or are repairable/removable.

Loctite was bought by Henkel several years ago, so it may now be more readily available worldwide. John
They are selling loctite (or locktite not sure) by Henkel locally in hw stores for some time now (together with tv commercial with guy hanging from the ceiling) but there is no part number there .. just a 3g superglue metal tube, and they sell it as superglue, so I'm not sure if the one they are selling here is good choice, I believe arctic silver might be the better choice, and as my bro is sending me a package from the states in few days (I also need few attyny45 that are also not available here for some strange reason, you can get all sort of pic's but from atmel on 5-6 different models) I'll just tell him to order few arctic silver termal adhesive and be done with it .. I believe 2 packs will last for a year as I do not need them often... (and internet order from europe can be a tricky thing as most of the online shops that sell hw parts ship to usa/canada only :( )

For your use, the silver-filled material is probably a good choice.

I found the Loctite 384 for a project that needed a non-conductive, hard-setting agent. Henkel is like the American 3M Company. It has a huge number of products and sometimes the same product will have different numbers associated with it, depending on the market to which it is sold. It can be confusing and frustrating, because neither Henkel nor 3M will tell you what the equivalent consumer products are. 384 is described as a cyanoacrylic adhesive, which as a class is often referred to as "superglue." A noticeable difference between 384 and typical hardware store super glue is that the superglues are usually clear and not great for gap filling. 384 has a non-conductive filler in it that improves its thermal properties.

I give that as just background information in case you have a future project that needs that property. John

@jpanhalt
thanks for the hint mate, I'll definitely go trough a few stores here and check the supplies ... henkel acquired few factories in this messed up country of mine so we have load of henkel product's in our stores .. might be that I'm able to find the appropriate one :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back