Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to add oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris414

I'm trying to set up my PIC18F4550 for using USB, similar to this page: **broken link removed**. I'm not making that project (and yes I know the circuit diagram uses a PIC18F2550:)), it just shows the oscillator connections. In the circuit diagram it shows the 20Mhz oscillator connected between OSC1 and OSC2, but that the oscillator is also connected to ground. The 20Mhz oscillator I have bought only has two terminals - how does that work? do I just connect a terminal to OSC1 and OSC2 and leave out the ground?

Thanks!

Last edited:
The circuit show a crystal, not an oscillator. The third connection, the one to ground, is just the case. You have a crystal. It will work fine between OSC1 and OSC2 whether or not you ground the case. It can help to add 10 - 20 pF between OSC1 and ground, and also 10 - 20 pF between OSC2 and ground.

If you have an oscillator, they are usually square or rectangular rather than oval like a crystal. An oscillator has connections for power and ground, and an output which you connect to OSC1. You would then leave OSC2 open, and you don't need to worry about capacitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back