Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to AC couple

Status
Not open for further replies.

notwist

i have a signal i want to input into a spectrum analyzer, but i have to AC couple this signal to avoid damaging the analyzer. How can I AC couple this signal? The signal is being generated by a TIMS module so i can just connect the cable to the analyzer but how do I ac couple it?

Thanks in advance.

Overclocked said:
I think the value Oscilloscopes use is 10pF Or So.

Er, no.

My scope (Telequipment D75) uses 100nF.

You may be thinking of the parasitic parallel capacitance at the input connector, 29 pF in my scope.

JimB

So why would you DC couple an RF device?.

Or do you mean it has a 50 ohm or 75 ohm load directly across the socket, and (presumably) capacitor coupled from that?.

Well, you have a good point. What I mean is that it looks like a 50 ohm resistor to anything connecting to it. Ironically, the signal processing that follows does indeed have a high-pass filter in most cases, so you don't get the benefit of DC coupling on the display.

And of course a transformer can be used to AC couple a signal to a device. Not as common as a cap because of costs but has an advantage of step up or step down voltage ratio or even center-tapped output for balanced signal processing.

Lefty

Some HP spectrum analyzer's inputs will be damaged by having DC applied to the input. Says it right on the unit in red letters. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back